Chapter 3

Cain

Nang bitiwan ko ang nanginginig niyang kamay ay agad na akong kumawala sa pagkakalapit naming dalawa. I took another step but failed to do so when he grabbed me full force. My eyes widen when he trapoed me once again with his full form.

"Do you even know what's happening right now, Catalina? The safety of your whole family is at risk. Kaya ka ipinadala rito kasi kailangan mo ng proteksyon. Under my care, under any circumstances, I shall keep you safe."

"But you hate me," I mumbled softly where I earned a hiss from him.

"And who told you that? You assume so much, Catalina."

A long silence breakthrough and I sighed.

"Let's get back to your house."

Bumuga siya ng hangin at tinitigan ako, his eyes were blazing fire. I stood there frozen in my spot, internally battling whether to pull him with me or let us stay like this until he realizes it's getting darker.

When my eyes found his lips, it opened, as if he wanted to tell me something until he closes it with his eyes. I swallowed hard and remembered his conversation with his father yesterday. He'll be coming over by five-thirty for dinner to discuss something.

"Dante.."

He frowned and mumbled a soft yes.

"Your father,"

Hesitant, he pulled away from me and took a step back. "He called saying he's dealing some stuff right now with your father. It's about politics and the election coming."

"Have you heard anything about my family? How are they doing?" I asked.

"No," mabilis niyang iling saka ako tinalikuran. "Let's go."

He grabs my hand and pulls me right next to him. I tried to get away from him even if it felt comfortable and warm in the cold evening breeze but he didn't let me. He tightened his hold and with all seriousness, faced his men who were waiting at the back garden.

"Get back to your places and be attentive. Alarm me and the whole team if you ever see something suspicious."

Yumuko ang mga ito bilang sagot saka ako mabilis na hinila ni Dante papunta sa pinto papasok sa bahay. When we reached the kitchen, I saw a man sitting on the stool in front of the counter island.

"Sit."

"Huh?" I asked as I diverted my gaze away from the man who was looking at the both of us.

"I don't want to argue with you, Catalina. Sit." He demanded using authority in his voice.

I sat next to the man in the stool and touched the hem of my shirt, playing with it.

His deep "I'm Cain, I suppose you're the infamous Catalina Alfonso."

Infamous?

"Yes. Nice meeting you."

Nodding, I shake his hand that was extended to me. He immediately lets go and takes a look at Dante who was tending the pan. I on the other hand looks at him closely, he resembles Mr. Rodriguez in so many ways. When I looked at Dante from behind, I realized they don't really look alike. Nga lang, pareho ang kulay ng mata nila, the rest ay hindi ko masasabing pareho sila.

It didn't take too long for the food to be ready as Dante settles on his seat. I was contemplating whether to talk or to just simply shut my mouth because neither of the two initiated a word. The clanging of our dinner knife and fork to the plate were heard and yet the silence was still eating us. I almost choke the lump in my throat when Dante's arms touched mine. It was a slight touch, like a wind just passing by but it was electrifying, almost delightful. Hindi ko alam kung iyon ba ang tinatawag nilang sparks, but if it is, then it was wonderful.

I turn to look at Dante but he held no emotion as he watches me. His eyes burning hole right through my soul. I could see his lips twitching as if he wanted to tell me something.

"You look really hesitant, Dante. May gusto ka bang sabihin?"

Hindi siya nagsalita at tinitigan lamang ako. Mabilis kong iniwas ang aking paningin at napatingin sa kaniyang plato. He barely touched his food.

Napansin ko ang pagtayo ni Cain dahil sa ginawang ingay ng upuan. Tiningnan ko siya at nakitang nakatingin pala siya sa akin. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I saw how his expression changed as he looked behind me, specifically Dante.

"Did you tell her?"

The deafening silence filled the room as I turn to look at Dante. Tell what?

He growled lowly at Cain to show that he is dominant but he held no response. Hindi ko maintindihan ang tinutukoy niya ngunit may pakiramdam ako na may hindi sinasabi si Dante sa akin.

"Out." He ordered, trying to make it clear and firm but anger laced in his voice.

"Anong nangyayari?"

"You better tell her," and with that, Cain walks out of the room.

I was silently hoping that it's not what I think it is but his silence defied me. Hindi niya masabi sa akin ang pinunta ni Cain, hindi ko rin magawang tanggapin kung tama ba ang iniisip ko. Pero kung tungkol nga ito sa pamilya ko, I will leave his house this instant.

"Dante."

Huminga siya ng malalim at tinalikuran ako. Pumunta siya sa sink at naghugas ng kamay, halatang iniiwasan ang diskusyon.

"Dante."

He swing to face me and with towel in his palm, he dried his hands.

"If you don't tell me, I will ask Cain myself. Hindi ko gusto ang paglilihim mo sa'kin, especially if it involves my family."

Dante stalks to my direction and locks me with his arms on the side of my hips.

"Hindi mo talaga alam kung kailan dapat magsalita, Catalina?" His deep Tagalog sent me to the edge, almost forgetting about the argument.

"You owe me an explanation, Dante."

Pulling away, he crossed his arms and stood closely, towering my small frame.

"It's your father,"

My eyes widened at his sudden outburst. I expected this but his word stung like bee. I knew exactly what he is trying to say. Umiiwas siya sa diskusyon dahil tungkol iyon sa ama ko, hindi ko alam kung balak niya bang itago ito dahil may nag-utos sa kaniya o sabihin sa'kin sa tamang panahon. But even with complete fear enveloping me, I hoped, I wished that it's not what I think. I prayed for it but I guess I was a little too late.

Brave, I asked.

"Anong nangyari kay Papà?"

One. Two. Three.

Thump.

Thump.

My heart beats louder than the usual as I waited for his answer.

"Your father was shoot."