Chapter 24

Found

"Ipagpa bukas mo nalang iyan. You're too tired from the two-day meeting, Dante."

Noong nagdaan lang ay kumbinsido akong pupunta pa ng ospital si Catalina para sa monthly check-up niya. It means, she rarely visits hospital. And in this case, I feel the need to just come and get her. But that'd be too selfish because she is still suffering from that fvcking amnesia.

It was explained to me that some of her memories haven't come back yet. And all of those lost memories was with me. The incident. And everything that involves about me. I closed my eyes, frustrated at the situation I am currently in.

I know two days won't hurt kasi nakapaghintay nga ako ng dalawang taon, dalawang araw pa kaya? Pero hindi ko magawang ipagpaliban ang pagkikita namin.

"I know, alright. Pero nakapag-book na rin naman ako ng flight pabalik ng Cebu. I'll arrive there before sunset. Saka.. magpapahinga rin naman ako pagkadating." Lies. Lies. Alam ko sa sarili ko na hindi ako makakapagpahinga gayong alam kong pwede ko na ulit siyang makita. It's been so long and I've been longing to see her. To touch her.

And just like that, I fly from Davao back to Cebu.

I stared at the address once again to verify if I got it right. Ayaw kong magkamali. Isa pa, I just want to check on her. Just checking.

But when I arrived at the said address, I hesitated if I should doorbell or wait for her to come out. Damn. This is so hard. Wala ako sa pwesto para mag reklamo pero sa tuwing sinusubukan kong lapitan ang gate, napapaatras ako. That's when I saw SUV car parked in front of the house. Halos matigagal ako. The Alfonsos are here!

Do they know? Fvck! They know something! Ano to, tinatago nila ang anak sa akin? They just publicly announced that her death will be legally processed. It just takes a matter of time and then, this! When Catalina was lost, I went mad and now, after all this time, they kept her here? Under my very nose. In this old familiar town!

Napasabunot ako sa sariling buhok saka tumalikod. Hindi para umalis kundi para mag-isip. I want to know why they did this to me. I have all the right to know about this. I felt betrayed. And then, I remembered how her father almost killed me the day her daughter went lost. That no matter how reasonable my reasons are and no matter what my relationship with Catalina is. It won't matter because he will still pursue the case against me. Pero hindi iyon nangyari. I waited. Patiently. But it never came. Then, it dawned me. Maybe they found her before I could even do. But why didn't they send her abroad? Just like before.

I was trying to compose myself. Those unanswered questions repeating in my head. Like a cycle, it was never ending. Nang tumingin ako sa unahan, nagulat ako sa nakita. A woman, half-running toward me. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then our eyes met and for a fleeting moment, I feel like I can breath again. But the happiness didn't last long when she ignored me, like she didn't know me. And then, it hit me. She has amnesia.

"Ina.." I whispered. Hoping it would reach her. Hoping she can remember. My eyes closed in an instant when she walk past by me, almost bumping me in the process but never talked. Like I was some kind of air. Ni hindi man lang ako pinansin!

"Ina." I said with a clearer voice. Firm but still tender.

I didn't dare look back. I doubt she heard me, alright. I doubt it.

"Catalina!"

That was the confirmation I needed. Catalina is alive. Damn. My baby is good.

Nang tingnan ko ang likuran ay papasok na sila ng gate. Halos mapugto pa ang hininga ko nang makita si Ina kasama ang isang lalaki. If it wasn't for his hands snaked around her waist possessively, I would've been breathing as normal as possible. Ngunit, imposible. Dahil mismong si Ina ay nakakapit sa matipuno nitong braso.