chapter one

Your First Fight: Ponyboy

*your POV*

"Oh god all you ever do is study! You never have time for me!" I exclaimed.

"Please, that's bull!" he snapped. "I spend almost every SECOND with you! You never leave me alone, how could I spend no time with you when you're so clingy!"

Pony and I were having our first fight. I thought we hadn't spent a lot of time together lately and he thought I was being too clingy. This is the first time we've argued, but I hate it already.

"I'm not clingy!" I said, defensive.

Pony crossed his arms. "'Pony, come over!'" he whined, mimicking you. "'Pony, help me! Pony, love me! Pony, hang out with me! Pony, this! Pony, that!' I'm sick of it! Just leave me alone once in a while!"

I felt tears in my eyes. "Pony..."

"See?!" he exclaimed. "There you go again! 'Pony, pony, pony!' That's my name! I get it!
Now leave me alone!"

"But-" he cut me off.

"No. You know what? I have to focus on my school work," he snapped. "Unlike YOU, I actually have a future."

I stared at him. "You're an ass," I said. I looked at my hand. There was a small pearl ring on my ring finger; Pony bought it for me for our seven month anniversary. He said it was a promise ring. Well, promise ring my ass.

I slid it off my finger and through it at him, hitting him square in the forehead. "Take your fucking promise ring and never talk to me again!" I yelled. "I have a future too! I may not be smart like you but I have a future! And it's just as valid as yours! It may be different but it's mine! And you don't have the right to tell me that I don't even have a future." I held back my tears. "So goodbye Ponyboy. I hope I never have to see you again."

I ran out of the house and down the street. I ran and I ran and I ran until I couldn't breath. I sat on a curb and cried into my knees.

I felt a hand on my back and I jumped. It was Johnny. "Hey Jo," I sniffled.

"You and Pony are fighting, aren't you?" he asked. I sniffled and nodded. He frowned and pulled me in for a hug. I cried into his chest.

"He- he told me I didn't have a future," I cried. "He told me I was clingy and annoying and needy."

Johnny rubbed my back. "You're okay," he said. "He doesn't know what he's missing. You're beautiful and funny and talented and smart. He'll realize what he's missing and come running after you. I know it."

I smiled. "Thanks, Jo." Johnny and I had been best friends for the longest time. He always made me feel better when I was upset. I kissed his cheek.

"I've gotta get home," he said. "Parents made a new curfew. Gotta be home by 10 or they said they'd beat me so bad I'd wish I was dead."

I hugged him. "I'm sorry Johnny," I said. I hugged him tightly.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said. I ruffled his hair and he ran home. I sighed and sat back down, thinking about what Pony said.

Was I really annoying? I thought. I'm not clingy, I just miss him. I love him, of course I'm gonna wanna see him a lot!

All this thinking just drove me to more tears. I sobbed into my knees until I felt someone sit next to me. I looked at them. Ponyboy.

"What do you want?" I snapped, wiping away the stray tears on my cheek.

"To talk," he said. He took my hands. I pulled them away.

"Don't touch me," I growled.

He looked at me, his eyes filled with hurt. "I'm so sorry, [y/n]," he said sadly. "I am really really sorry. I didn't mean it. I just- I have the extremely important test tomorrow and I'm very stressed and I have a raging migraine and I don't know HALF of the material and its 50% of my grade and-" I cut him off.

"But that's not an excuse to say that to me," I said, my eyes watering again. "What you said, you basically told me your future was more important than mine and that isn't true, Ponyboy. My future is just as important as mine." I stood up and walked away. I pushed my [y/h/c] out of my face and wiped my eyes. I leaned against the wall of the building

"I know that," he said. "You're future is more important to me than anything. Look, [y/n], I want the best for you. I love you. More than anything in the world. I would give up everything if it just made you happy. I'll do anything for you. I'm sorry I snapped at you. I shouldn't have. Of course you have a future."

"Just admit it," I said sadly. "I'm dumb. I don't got a future. You'll find some smart girl who could be a surgeon or something and I'll end up as the wife of some drunk who gets me drunk for sex and I'll have all these kids I don't want and-" my voice cracked and I began to cry again.

All I wanted, in that very moment, was Pony. Johnny may have always made me feel good about myself but Pony always made me feel better. There was a difference to me. Johnny made me feel good about myself, but if I wasn't feeling good ENOUGH, Pony would comfort me.

Pony hugged me close, his warm arms protecting me from everything. "That's not going to happen," he cooed. "I promise you. We're in love, [y/n]. We're so in love I'm 1,000% positive we'll get married and have only children you want to have."

I smiled and kissed him. "I love you Ponyboy," I said. "I love you so much. I didn't mean what I said. I really can't live without you. I'm sorry if I'm clingy or annoying but I can't be without you. I love you."

"You're not clingy or annoying," he said. "You're wonderful. I love being with you. I really didn't mean any of what I said. I promise."

"Promise?" I asked.

"Promise." He kissed me softly.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too [y/n]," he said.

I really can't live without him.