Chapter 18

Robyn's POV of the past ( A first! )

My eyes flutter open from a deep sleep. I'm curled up in a ball, like a little kid. Even though I'm already 14 in human years, I sometimes don't believe that I am.

I sit up and realise I'm sitting on a plain white table. And not a normal one either, a science lab one. Then I look around the room and notice several containers filled with god knows what. And a fan spinning in the corner of the room.

My hug myself as the wind blows onto me. All I'm wearing is a plain gown, the type you see in a hospital that everyone hates but you have no choice to wear them. It's an ocean blue, but it has stains going down it from my past. But I do recognise this place, as I've been living here for most of my life.

As I get lost in my thoughts, a sliding door opens and out comes a man and a woman. They both wear white, clean lab coats.

The woman wears thin, black glasses and her mouth is straight staring my right in the eye. I remember that she is the cruelest out of two, hitting me at every single thing I do. She hasn't shown one nice emotion to me.

The man, however, it smiling slightly at me. He has always cared for me but also at the same time, despised me. I know I shouldn't trust him as he's on the same side as the lady but I get carried away.

"STAND!" The lady screams at me and I immediately obey her. My feet hit the ground and I walk to the center of the room. I know what's coming next so I try and prepare myself for it.

They both inspect me for a moment before conducting their experiment. The woman marches towards me and grabs me by the neck, pulling my head up. The man passes her a tube and it goes down my throat.

I don't even try and struggle as I know the consequences.  Once I fought back and I didn't get fed a crumb for 6 days and the water I got given was a yellow color. For the first two days, I refused to drink it but I gave in as I knew that I would die if I didn't.

I come back to reality and I feel liquid rushing down my throat and I start to gag. The lady still holds me and I close my eyes and try to focus on something else other then whats going into my body.

I try and remember the life I had before I was with the scientists. Though there's not much of it. I don't remember my mum or dad or siblings if I had any. The scientist says that they all died in a car crash and that was that. I wasn't allowed to ask any more questions.

I feel the tube being pulled out of my throat and I open my eyes. The lady lets go of my neck and I fall and instantly puke. I do this every day, after this routine. I've gotten used to by now.

"Robyn, get up." The woman yells and I stumble onto my feet. They stare at me and as I regain my balance. "For the first time in your life, we will be giving you a mission." The woman says and I look up.

"Really?" I ask and the man nods his head. I get half excited that I will eventually be leaving this place.

"Your mission is to go to a boarding school and report back to us when the main events are. We will then attack, making us a known terrorist. Do you understand?" They say and my excitement comes crashing back down as I realise what they said.

"Attack with what? Bombs?!" I ask quickly. They both look at me like I'm crazy.

"Yes, bombs obviously."

"You mean you're going to kill people? Children?" I say, raising my voice.

"Yes, that's what we and you have been training for, for our whole lives. You will be the main aspect of the mission. You and along with everyone else in that school will be killed." The woman says and the man walks towards a desk and pulls two stamps out a drawer.

"Robyn, could you hold out your wrists?" The man says in a soothing voice. I do what I am told and he stamps one on each of my arms. It burns slightly but I keep my arms there as I would get punished if I move.

"This stamp will remind you of who you are so you don't forget. And so you remember your mission." I look at my wrists and this shows:

My attention is turned to the sliding doors again when two boys come in

My attention is turned to the sliding doors again when two boys come in. They look alike but not identical. They glare at me and I walk backward and hit my 'bed' I was laying on earlier.

"Robyn, these boys will be accompanying you on this mission. They will be acting as your twin older brothers. They won't be killed but they will be making sure that you're on track." The man says and the boys don't show any sign of kindness.

"And you must meet up with them every day so you don't forget. We all know how forgetful you are and this is important. If you miss a meet up there will  be consequences. Do you understand." The woman says for the second time, trying to drill it into my head like I'm a toddler.

"Yes," I say quietly and the scientist nods her head in approval. They leave the room as quickly as they came in and I stand quietly.

My silence is them interrupted by speakers which suddenly start to play music.

"Say something, I'm giving up on you
And I'll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you"

I walk towards the center of the room as the song continues. I feel my body sway to the beat of the song and I start to dance around the platform.

"And I
Am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all"

I lift my arms up as I dance with full emotion.

"And I
Will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl"

"Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you"

I fall onto the ground as I continue to dance to the emotional song. I feel it connecting with me.

"And I
Will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye"

"Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
And anywhere, I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you"

The beat slows and I pause in the center of the room. I'm sitting on the floor like a rag doll who's just lost its owner. Tears stream down my eyes.

"Say something, I'm giving up on you
Say something"

The song finishes and I lay my head on the ground as I sob my eyes out.

***********************************************************************

Wow. Emotion ending much. Do you like that kind of endings to a chapter? I thought it would've been nice to show the emotions of the character that Robyn is.

I love this song so much but it's such an emotional one, though. I was planning to use the song that goes with  the John Lewis Christmas advert but it hasn't come out yet but I've heard it will be coming out tonight. Oh if you don't know what I'm talking about, John Lewis makes the most emotional Christmas ads ever. It literally makes my entire country cry.

But on that point, I hope you liked my new chapter and I will see you next week!

Vote, Follow, and Comment!

Charlotte