Chapter 1, Nauseous

There is a special group of people with a special bunch of talents. Now by talents I don’t mean like juggling 3 balls while standing on a treadmill. I mean very special talents.

Alex woke up feeling nauseous, she put her fingers to her forehead. It was hot, surely a fever. She shifted in her covers and grabbed her phone from the bedside table. She checked the time. 5:30 AM.
“Ugh,” she groaned, and went back to sleep. Yesterday Alex and her family had a big family party, it was her mum’s birthday. They had opened presents, (Alex had given her mum a gold necklace with an oval locket,) they had even watched a few movies and even gone to get ice cream afterwards. Alex was an only child and her parents had separated when she was young. Her mum had remarried and she never saw her dad again. They lived in a small apartment in Melbourne which was maybe a bit too expensive to keep but her mum loved it. Alex had a part time job at a local supermarket and went to a state school.

When she woke up again it was around 9:00. Alex got out of bed still feeling sick, like she needed to puke but she couldn’t. She felt so bad that it was as if she had swallowed a tree but it hadn’t digested well. Would it anyway? She walked over to her desk and found the trash can that lay under it. At least I now have something to puke in, she thought. She groaned back to her bed and lay in it. Then she had a sudden thought. Wait, it’s a school day. Shouldn’t my parents be waking me up saying, “LET’S GO TO SCHOOL!!! WAKEY WAKEY!!!” She climbed out of bed and went to her bedroom door. She was about to open the door when she discovered that it was locked.
“Huh?” She exclaimed.
This didn’t mean good. Alex reluctantly strolled backward, and charged at the door, it came crashing off, and rattled to the floor. Her parents wouldn’t be pleased with that. She hopped over it and started towards her parents’ bedroom. As she walked down the hallway, she noticed that all the photo frames of distant relatives were gone. She kept walking, all the family’s possessions gone. Until she reached her parent’s door. She didn’t feel nauseous anymore, she felt plain terror. On the door hung a note in her mum’s handwriting:

Dear Alex,
We love you very much but we are afraid that we must leave you for reasons only we and a few selected people know. We have taken only the things that we have wanted to keep with us, so we hope you can make do with the rest of it. You may not know this but you are very special Alex, very special.
We know that this may be sudden and way to unexpected but this is for your own good. If you need help call the new contact on your phone. Oh, and Mum made you scrambled eggs, (check the fridge)
Take care,
Goodbye forever,
Mum and dad.

Alex didn’t want the scrambled eggs, she didn’t want a new contact on her phone. She wanted her parents. She thought about how they had celebrated her mum’s birthday.  All Alex’s friends had come over, and they had had a great time. Her mum’s cake was chocolate, Alex and her mum’s favourite. But little did she know that her parents would be leaving her by herself. Also what did her parents mean by special? When had she ever been special? The only special thing that had ever happened to her was that she finally got a TV in her room. Then Alex realized that she was still sick. She puked into her trash can and soon felt like she had been lifted from a burden of holding the weight of an elephant on dry cement. Alex felt better but not too better, she still had the issue with her parents. Also, Alex lived in an apartment in Australia, so she could only drive when she was 18, and Alex was only 14. She couldn’t stay here. There was nothing. Only food. She decided to eat the scrambled eggs. But when she looked in the fridge there was only that, so she saved a bit for later. She tried to turn on the water, but it didn’t work. Did her parents want her to die? She checked all the cupboards, nothing. Alex felt the anger rising up inside her, but only for it to turn to sadness. Why? She kept thinking to herself, why did they leave me with nothing!?  She looked over to a counter to her right and saw the necklace she had given her mum. She couldn’t hold it in any longer. She stared to cry. She strung the necklace around he neck, and couldn’t be bothered to save the rest of the eggs. Alex inhaled the eggs And smashed the plate on the ground in rage. This whole day made no sense. She pinched herself, definitely not dreaming.