Chapter 3-Diagon Alley

"Watch it!" Draco yelled to his snowy owl, Duchess, who'd just dropped the mail on his head.

"Dobby," Lucius ordered, "pick up the mail!"

The house elf appeared and did his job, taking only a few second to do so. He set the mail in the middle of the breakfast table and left.

There was only one envelope with the Hogwarts seal on it. Strange-why did Duchess bring it instead of a school owl? He neatly opened it the way he'd always been taught - with a letter opener.

He skimmed through the letter that told him to catch the Hogwarts Express at eleven on September 1st before reading over his supply list.

"It seems," he said, "that we need Lockhart's complete set of defense books. So either the new professor is a young witch or Lockhart himself."

"Can't say there's much of a difference," his father remarked. These were the times when Draco truly admired his father; every now and then, he'd say something like that and it reminded Draco that his father was still human, even if he had a knack for using the Cruciatus Curse as a punishment.

"We already have these books," Draco said, "so all we need from Flourish and Blotts is The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2."

"We shall go next Wednesday. I have to drop off some items at Borgin & Burkes."

"Will it be just you two, then?" Narcissa asked. "I see no reason to go myself."

"Very well," Lucius agreed. "Draco, you have done well on your exams, correct?"

"I believe one hundred percent on each exam," Draco said.

"Good."

______________________________________________________________

Draco glanced at a skull before entering Borgin & Burkes. He looked around before walking towards an odd-looking sculpture. He reached out when his father walked in and slapped his walking stick a centimeter from Draco's hand. He drew back his hand the moment he heard the sound.

"Don't touch anything, Draco," Lucius ordered.

"Yes, Father," Draco said. He carried the box his father had given him to the front desk. A man came out of a door in the back and greeted them.

"Mr. Malfoy, what a pleasure to see you again. And young Master Malfoy too. I must show you, just in today, and reasonably priced-

"I'm not buying today, Borgin," Lucius said, "just selling." He turned around and called Draco.

He obeyed his father and set the box on the table before stepping back. As his father talked with Borgin, Draco began surveying the room. As Borgin packed away the items from his father, Draco neared a cabinet. He was about to open it when the walking stick appeared next to him, slamming the cabinet.

"What did I say?" Lucius asked Draco.

"Touch nothing," he replied.

"Exactly."

"Sorry, Father."

Lucius retracted the walking stick and said, "Come. We'll go."

"Always a pleasure doing business with you, Mr. Malfoy," Borgin said as father and son walked out.

Next, they went to Quality Quidditch Supplies where Lucius bought seven Nimbus 2001s for the Slytherin Quidditch team. Off they went, to Flourish and Blotts to buy Draco's spell book.

Draco stepped in, and as usual, his father did not follow. He maneuvered through the women and girls (for if there were males, it was only because of their families) and climbed the stairs to the top and looked down.