Chapter 15-Merlin's Wand

Draco discreetly watched as his father strode down the hall.

"Mr. Malfoy!" someone called. Soon, Draco saw Potter running after his father.

"Mr. Malfoy, I have something of yours." Potter handed the stabbed diary to Lucius.

"Mine? I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, I think you do, sir. I think you slipped the diary into Ginny Weasley's cauldron, that day at Diagon Alley."

"You do, do you?" Draco's father passed the book to Dobby and stepped closer to Potter. "Why don't you prove it?" He sneered, and turned, saying, "Come, Dobby."

"Open it," Potter said to Dobby, regarding the diary. Dobby did and his eyes widened when he saw what looked like socks from Draco's point of view.

Suddenly, the elf's eyes wandered over Draco's hiding spot. Draco held his finger up to his lips, and scooted further behind the torch stand.

"Dobby!" Lucius called again.

"Master has given Dobby a sock!"

"What? I didn't give-"

"Master has presented Dobby with clothes!" Holding up the sock, he said, "Dobby is free!"

Draco watched as Potter pulled up his pant leg to reveal the lack of a sock on his foot.

"You've lost me my servant!" Lucius yelled in rage. He pulled his wand out of his walking stick and marched towards The Boy Who Lived To Possibly Die At The Hands Of His School Enemy's Father.

"You shall not harm Harry Potter!" Dobby said defiantly.

"Avada-" Draco's eyes widened at the curse his father was using when Dobby...did something...and Draco's father flew back.

"Your parents were meddlesome fools, too," Lucius spat. "You mark my words, Potter, one day soon you are going to meet the same sticky end!"

He angrily left the hall, and Dobby told Potter, "Harry Potter freed Dobby! How can Dobby ever repay him?"

Nice acting, Draco thought.

"Just promise me something," Potter said.

"Anything, sir!"

"Never try to save my life again."

Soon they were on their way as well, and Draco made it up the stairs to Dumbledore's office. When he entered, he looked around for the old man and found him sitting at his desk.

"Ah, Draco," he began, "I've been expecting you. I've already gotten a full account of what has happened, including your clever rooster trick, but why don't you retell me to make sure I haven't a reason to expel you."

Draco's jaw dropped, but the old man merely chuckled. "Only joking about expulsion, Draco. But do tell the story, even though I know how much you dislike it."

Draco told him everything he had learned after their last meeting all the way up to getting out of the chamber by himself and what he saw his father try to do outside the office.

Dumbledore said, "Why didn't you come by Fawkes?"

"He was carrying the others, and they all left before I could do anything. Besides, I wasn't about to cling to Weasle-ah, Ginny Weasley."

"I see. Well, normally, I would award you for Services to the School, but you and I both know how bad an idea that would be. However, I can promise to get you a plaque in the trophy room once this whole Voldemort ordeal has been sorted out."

"I suppose that'll be alright. I don't really care about awards, though, to be honest. It's not my favorite way of bringing attention to myself."

"Draco Malfoy doesn't want attention?"

"Of course not, sir. But one must sacrifice certain things for the greater good."

At these words, Dumbledore flinched and went silent.

"Sir?" Draco prompted.

"Draco, I hope you realize how Gryffindor you sound."

"No, I don't. I'm doing this so I can be at peace. Besides, I'm exasperated with how everyone hates Slytherin and love Gryffindor. On the first day of school, as I was walking to the Slytherin table after my sorting, I heard Weasley tell Potter that there wasn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin."

"That is not true at all."

"Exactly, but I think Weasley's head is too thick for that knowledge to penetrate through."

Dumbledore chuckled. Clearing his throat, he said, "I also must make sure you understand that sacrifice is not always good. In fact, I believe that most of the time sacrifices made are not worth it."

"Of course, sir. I wouldn't sacrifice anything in the world for anything else in the world. It just seemed like a clever thing to say at the moment."

"I must tell you, Draco, that you share many similarities with two people I've come to know."

"Who would they be?"

"Professor Snape and myself."

Draco was stunned. That was an enormous compliment. "Thank you, sir."

"Now, there is nothing to thank me for. Thank yourself."

"Thank me, Draco."

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled with merriment. "Now, I presume there is something more you wish to ask me about?"

"Why can I do any sort of magic without too much practice, or any at all, actually?"

Dumbledore looked thoughtful for a moment before saying, "Before you received your wand at Ollivander's wand shop, Ollivander's memory was altered."

"How so?"

"That wand of yours does not just have the same wood as Merlin's wand does. Your wand is Merlin's old wand."

Draco gaped at him, thus allowing the old man to continue.

"When Merlin was on his deathbed, he asked his twin sister to pass it on to his true heir."

"This is much too familiar for my liking."

"You need not worry; Merlin believed his wand was extraordinary and chose to pass it on rather than have it buried with him."

"But why was I chosen as his heir?"

"It all comes down to potential. If that wand had gone to anyone with less potential, he or she would not have acquired the same results as you have."

"So I'm a good wizard, but this wand just makes things easier for me?"

"Yes."

"Cool."

"I believe so."

"Alright, well, thanks for the help."

Draco turned to leave but had a few more questions, "Sir, at the wand shop, were you just playing along with Ollivander? Who wiped his memory? And I thought you said that Fawkes provided the core for my wand."

"Yes, I was playing along, and it was I who wiped his memory. I knew that Merlin's heir would be attending Hogwarts that year. When your father said you hadn't been able to show signs of magic, I was sure of what wand you would receive because there was a spell that would not allow the wand's true owner to perform any sort of magic until provided the wand. As for Fawkes, he used to belong to Merlin's sister. He was passed down to me."

"Complex."

"Indeed."

"Alright, well, I suppose that'll be all."

This time, Draco did leave.

A/N: I encourage you all to share this book with your friends, comment, vote, and keep on reading! Thank you all so much!