Chapter 14-Saviour of the Saviour

Draco entered a room with a long, straight path down the middle with rows of large snake statues on either side. As quietly as possible, Draco walked down to the area where a sixteen or seventeen-year-old boy was watching the Basilisk attack Potter.

Potter was standing on the head of a man's statue, holding a sword. The serpent seemed to be shoving its head blindly in the direction of the second-year, but as the snake finally made contact with its target, Draco could see one of the Basilisk's fangs getting stuck in Potter's arm while he lost his balance and accidentally released the sword.

Time for action, Draco thought, but didn't dare voice.

He undid the silencing charm on the rooster, but nothing happened. The rooster was asleep! This definitely wasn't normal rooster behavior (to the extent of his knowledge). He jabbed at the bird and whispered, "Rennervate."

Instantly, the bird awoke and started squawking. Potter and the other boy both turned to look at Draco who said, "Sorry, he's been sleeping all day."

Suddenly, there was a loud screech-moan-whimper-groan from the monster of the Chamber of Secrets. The Basilisk's head flopped around and finally hit the floor with a thud.

The oldest boy was definitely furious. He glared at Draco, was silencing the rooster, and then at Potter, who had pulled the fang out of his arm and was kneeling in pain by Weaslette.

"Remarkable isn't it," the oldest boy said, "how quickly the venom of the basilisk penetrates the body? I'd guess you have little more than a minute to live. You'll be with your dear Mudblood mother soon, Harry."

Mudblood? Was this Tom Riddle?

"Funny," Riddle continued, "the damage a silly little book can do...especially in the hands of a silly, little girl."

Upon hearing this, Potter took the book from the ginger girl's hands and opened it.

"What are you doing?" Riddle asked Potter. The youngest boy raised the Basilisk fang and when Riddle ordered him to stop, he stabbed the empty diary with the fang.

Light emerged from where Riddle's heart was. He cried in pain, and when Potter stabbed the next page, Riddle screamed in agony as the light encased him. Finally, Potter closed the book and stabbed the cover. Riddle burst into bright white light and exploded.

Weaslette suddenly opened her eyes, gasping. The girl got up and faced Potter, who was crouched down and was wincing.

"Harry," she started, "it was me - but I swear, I didn't mean to! Riddle made me, and...Harry, you're hurt!"

"Don't worry. Ginny, you need to get yourself out. Follow the Chamber, and you'll find Ron."

Draco picked up the sword and stabbed the giant snake in the head just for the heck of it.

Fawkes the phoenix flew into view and perched next to Potter.

"You were brilliant, Fawkes," the boy said, "I just wasn't quick enough." Just as Draco didn't expect, the bird began to cry, and these tears were healing Potter.

"Of course!" Potter exclaimed. "Phoenix tears have healing powers. Thanks!" After reassuring the ginger that everything would be alright, Potter led the way back to where Weasel and Lockhart were.

Weasel first saw Potter, who walked in first, and exclaimed, "Harry! You're okay!" After a gasp, he said, "Ginny!" and hugged his sister. It seemed that Lockhart was still as clueless as he was before (he'd finally woken up from Weasel's sharp blow with the rock). Also, everyone ignored Draco and the rooster. Why, considering they'd saved the day, Draco didn't know.