Chapter 17

I awoke after surgery to my mother sitting beside my hospital bed reading a book. It was really dark in the room but she had a lamp on right above her chair. When she noticed I had woke up she placed her bookmark inside and pulled her chair closer to my bedside.

"How are you feeling?" She asked sincerely. It felt surreal to hear those words. The many times I had gotten sick with a cold or the flu it was always dad asking me that question. I had only dreamed of hearing her say that to me.

"I would be a lot better if I found out the score of the Cubs game," I admitted and laughed despite the pain I was now feeling in my leg from the surgery. The medicine they gave me was wearing off.

"Here, let me look it up," she said grabbing her phone and looking for the score. She looked determined to do anything I asked. I began to wonder what made her want to stay. Why was she still here?

"The Cubs won 2-1," she said, "It doesn't look like the game was a nail biter but it does show how great they have been doing this season. Their record this year, wow," she said partly to herself as she read it off her screen.

They won. That is all I wanted to know.

I looked up at the ceiling before taking a breath and looking back at her.

"Do not thank me," she said reading my mind, "I have caused you nothing but pain over the course of your life. I am sorry that I almost let you down again. It's just that this has been hard for me."

"I knew it would be," I said, "but you surprised me. You are nothing like I thought you would be and it makes me happy to see you so successful. You and I were both given a good chance at life after you left us," I assured her that I was okay with it all.

"To be contacted by the man and child I had left 23 years ago," she said staring into my eyes once more, "it was something I hadn't thought about. I didn't think you could find me or would ever need to. That's why I refused to be called by you guys again. 23 years ago I went to a shelter and got back to school and was able to get a scholarship for college by telling my story. I couldn't look back after that no matter how many times I wanted to. I used my studies and then my career as a way to move on, but I never forgot about you," She grabbed my hand and this time I cried.

"But what made you change your mind? How did you end up here?" I asked her still trying to make sense of it all. I thought about Kris, who should know by now that I had the surgery. Jackson was supposed to hint to it by giving him something for me.

"I received a phone call  the other day from a number that read 'Chicago Cubs' and I answered it," she squeezed my hand, "After seeing the name Dr. Rhodes and ignoring all of his calls and any calls from unknown numbers, I was kind of confused but excited that the Cubs were calling. I've always been a fan and thought maybe I had won something," she smiled at the thought and then realized it was not something to smile at.

"And then I was ambushed by an entire team of people begging me to listen to them. It was a conference call," she continued, "they told me about the impact you have had on them as their athletic trainer and they each went around telling me what saving you would do for them and their families. I was in shock. I had no idea that your life could be at stake or that you were suffering here. I felt like I had let you down again. I called your dad back and there was no answer at the time so I found out what hospital he worked at and where I could find you and I came. Despite all my fears," she said.

By the end of her story I had completely broken down and sobbed. Not only was Kris a part in this but the entire team had gotten her to listen and to get over her fear and to see my life as valuable. For that I am forever greatful.

She and I sat there for a while telling stories and bonding. Neither of us knew what this meant for us going forward and I didn't want this to ruin what I have with my dad and our bond but being connected to each other for the first time was powerful and I didn't want the moment to go away.

Then I realized that it had to. She told me that she had gotten married 8 years ago and that she has two young boys ages 6 and 4. I didn't want them to ever feel like their mother was being taken away from them. I wanted her to continue to treat them like they are the greatest joys in her life. I was excited to find out that I had two young brothers though. Maybe they will grow up to play baseball and be as great as the men of the Cubs that I can forever call family.

My mother left before Kris was able to come home and see me after the next game in Cincinnati. He was bummed that he didn't get to meet her but knew that he would get the chance someday now that my mother and I weren't strangers anymore.

Then I saw Kris had my hair tie on his wrist. I had told Jackson the night I knew I'd be going into surgery that Kris needed to wear it during the game so we would be connected. I told him to go in Kris' bag and to bring it to him in the dugout. I knew Kris was superstitious and that wearing it would help him know I was safe. It is amazing seeing that he had never taken it off again. I bet he never will at this rate.

I smiled.