Chapter 18

I slowly began to gain the ability to bend my leg and use my muscles again. I went to physical therapy every other day for the first few weeks and then everyday for the remainder of the weeks since leaving the hospital. I was almost to the point where I didn't need my crutches for a while and now I can finally do it on my own for short distances. It is only fitting that right along with my recovery, it is also almost time for the playoffs to begin. A new start.

It has been a long but memorable season for me and for the guys for many reasons. I met them all at the beginning of April and now October is right around the corner.

I moved in with Kris and our relationship has only grown stronger since my hospital scare. I also got to introduce him to my mother and we in turn got to be introduced to her husband Jay and their sons Owen and Wes.

In honor of being without crutches for the first time at the first postseason game, Kris kindly invited my mom and her family to join in the celebration at Wrigley and to be there to cheer him and his team mates on.

I sat in a box during the pregame warm ups and batting practice before their first game with Brittany and the Arrieta kids and a few other wives and girlfriends that I have become close with. Jake was pitching today and his kids were so happy to see him play, they brought joy to his life and vice versa. Although my dad couldn't make it to the game because of a conference out of state I was also extremely happy. I was happy that Beth, Jay and their kids, my brothers, accepted Kris' invitation and were here to watch the game with me. It was all because of my mom that I was even at the point I am now.

Right before the game was about to begin Jackson came up and asked me to walk down to the field with him for a moment. I didn't mind because I needed the chance to stretch out my leg and I wanted to wish them all good luck. I saw Brittany wink at Jackson as he led me from the box and I grew confused.

I went down to the field in time to see Jake getting ready to catch the first pitch from a fan or celebrity, which is customary for the starting pitcher to do. I looked around to see who would be throwing it to him and then he walked over to me and that's when I realized that Jackson was no longer beside me. I noticed that he had retreated back to the dugout where he stood beside Kris and Riz watching on with excitement.

Then I realized what was going on. I was throwing out the first pitch. Jake greeted me with a big warm hug and a sinister smile.

"Look at you," he said at me referring to how great I was able to walk on my own, "Ready? Here you go, lets see what you got," he placed a ball in my hand that I would use to throw to him in front of the entirety of the crowd at Wrigley field.

I handed it back to him.

"I think I want to use this one," I pulled his no-hitter ball out of my coat pocket and saw a tear glisten in his eyes. He had no idea that I would be carrying it with me, but why wouldn't I? Especially when he got his no hitter entirely for me, this was an important game for him as a pitcher and I was now walking again.

"Hey you told me that when I was able to walk again, I could return it to its rightful owner," I stared up at him. He smiled from ear to ear and then nodded and ran to the plate to catch it from me.

I stood on the mound looking all around me as they announced my name to the fans. Some were probably wondering who I was and others may know me through Kris but in the moment all I could think about was my own redemption and the team being so close to winning the championship that would define their season. They have the best record in the league and no one has worked harder or deserves it more than they do.

I looked to Kris once more who was cheering loudly and then I looked down toward the plate at Jake. I took a small step and threw the ball. It took a small bounce before reaching him but he caught it off the bounce, stood up and ran back over to me. The crowd cheered and he placed the ball back in my hands.

"This ball helped you to believe in something," he said "You believe in the team, you believe in me, especially, and you believe in yourself. Please do not make me give this to Kris to hide under your bed or something. I just can't take it back."

I took it back once again and held it to my heart.

"Thank you for believing in me," he pulled him in for another long hug.

I wished all of the guys good luck, kissed my best friend and hottest third baseman in baseball and returned up to my friends and family to watch the boys from our box.

Jake pitched a great game and the guys played phenomenally, scoring 7 runs to the other teams 2. I looked around to see the many happy families. The wives of the guys and some of their children watching them with love and affection and my mom enjoying the day out with her husband who shares the same heart as her with their little boys who were so mesmerized by the ballpark. Everyone was so happy.

I needed a moment to be alone and thank my lucky stars for where my life has brought me. Before it was just me and my dad. Now I had so much to live for and so many people who have been by my side rooting for me. I walked out to the main fan concession area and just walked along with everyone as they cleared out of the stadium. It felt good to be reminded that I was alive and healthy and slowly gaining back all of my strength. I can't wait to find out what life has in store for me in the future now that I can return to my dream job. I just don't know what it means for Jackson or if I want to take this away from him.