Chapter 21

Thursday/Game One of World Series:

I left Alex this morning a little happier than usual after she made me breakfast and we ate together on "our" apartment balcony. Lately, I have felt guilty that I have had to leave her behind when going to practice because of her no longer having a place there with the team. However, today I didn't feel as bad. I wanted to get to batting practice and work out as hard as I could so that I could get done a little early and begin preparations for the single most important moment of my life. Proposing to my future wife before my first ever World Series game. 

The day completely flew by and I found myself getting ready and dressed in my uniform well in advanced of my teammates. Soon they all started arriving to get ready as well and they all gave me odd looks. 

"Am I late or something?" Riz walked in looking at me and then at his watch, mocking me for being ready two hours early. After morning  practice many of the guys left and went to get something to eat but I stayed back and sat with Jackson, letting him in on my plan. I would again need him to help me get Alex down to the field.

I looked up at Rizzo and felt bad. I hadn't yet told him what I had planned and I didn't want him to be the last one to know. I opened up my gym bad and pulled out the ring box. 

"I have some thing I have to do in a few hours and I am pretty nervous," I said holding it up and opening it to reveal a glimmering diamond. 

"Wait, are you serious?" his jaw dropped and I quickly placed it back in my bag.

"Do you think it's too soon?" I asked, "It kinda just feels right."

"No, this is great. I can't wait to see her face. Who else knows?" He asked looking around wondering if I had left him out of the decision on purpose.

"None of the guys do," I promised him, "Just Jackson. I need him to get Al down to the field before the game like he did when she threw out the first pitch."

"I will let that one slide," he said pulling some things out of his locker and then sitting down in front of it on the bench, "But wow. It's happening. Do you have a speech planned?"

"Not at all," I admitted nervously, "It has to come from the heart."

"What does?" Jake asked sitting down next to me at Russells locker.

Riz looked around to make sure no one else could hear him and then he spilled the beans without my permission. I knew that was bound to happen. The truth was that I didn't want anyone Alex was close with to know because I didn't want them to make a big