Chapter 24

I watched as the rain poured down and the guys were losing hope. It got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and wanted to knock some sense into them and give them something to remind them of what they were fighting for. I saw that there would be a rain delay before extra innings and I ran down to the tunnel as fast as I could.

It felt exhilarating to be running. I was reminded of the step in my journey to where I am now where I may have needed to be wheeled or carried down to see the guys.

When I made it to the gate, the man was no longer standing there blocking the path. The only thing separating me from going down toward the locker room was a rope blocking the opening. I symbolically stepped over the obstacle in my way and continued to run down to the room.

I made it there out of breath and I watched in disappointment as all the guys sat there hanging their heads and looking exhausted.

"Alex?" Kris quickly stood up, "what are you doing down here? You are out of breath. Did you run?" His bright blue eyes staring into my mine.

"Yeah," I nodded as I caught my breath and gave them all the 'hold on a sec' gesture with my pointer finger. I could tell he was proud of me for being able to.

Coach Maddon walked over to me and then looked at his players.

"As if we needed something to remind us of why we are here," he said looking back to me proudly. "Here is your example. There isn't one of you that doesn't remember the pain that our girl Alex has gone through this season and how she has driven each of you to be better players. Jake I bet you remember getting a no hitter in her honor. Be ready to relief pitch if we need you,"

"I would love to pitch the bottom of the 10th, coach. If we can get some runs going then put me in," Jake said taking off his sweat shirt and putting his jersey on.

"I just wanted to say something," I said hugging Kris and interrupting Maddon's speech as I began to cry.

"We would love to hear some inspiration," Riz said sincerely to me and everyone looked up to hear what I was going to say. I hadn't planned anything so I just spoke from the heart.

"This is the last time I will be barging into your locker room this season. I almost didn't get the chance had there not been this life saving rain delay," I smiled. Then I walked around the room touching each guy on the shoulder for good luck, "Think of this as a fresh start. A way to gain back your momentum. None of you lost hope during my struggle and I seem to be the only one in this room that still has so much faith in you guys and your ability to go out there and finish the job."

"Thanks for believing in us," Rossy said aloud as I stood in front of him. He pulled me in for a hug. And then Jake did the same. He was now ready to relief pitch and possibly get a save for the first time in his career with the Cubs.

The rain delay ended and the guys were called back out to the field.

I walked back over to my fiancé and he pulled me in for a kiss and then looked at me like I was the only person in the room with him.

"I will see you in less than a half hour when we are out on that field celebrating and hoisting that trophy and when I get a ring to match yours," He whispered. And pulled me close one last time making us feel like we were one body and soul.

He broke away as the team began to chant inspiring phrases, making their way up to the field now filled with confidence.

I sat in the locker room looking around at the memories I have had this season traveling with them as I watched the guys score run after run in the tenth from the locker room tv. I began to cry as I realized they were going to be champions.

My emotional outbursts that turned into sobbing was quickly interrupted as my phone rang and Brittany yelled at me to get up to the box where they would be ushering the families down during the trophy presentation. I followed her command to get back up by her and on my way out I passed the man that hadn't allowed me to get down here before the game. He was carrying plastic to cover the locker room with and wheeling in champagne in anticipation of a Cubs victory. I just smiled at him and then smirked at his look of confusion, grateful that I had been given the opportunity to sneak down to see them all and inspire them to get this win. It was now the bottom of the 10th with a score of 10-6. It was happening.

I ran back up to the families and saw Brittany watching her husband in awe as he was given the opportunity to pitch the final three outs to give the team their victory.

We hugged eachother and couldn't breathe during the last strike. I closed my eyes momentarily but then as the Cubs fans in the crowd went crazy so did we. We each grabbed a kid and picked them up to go see their daddy who was now credited with saving the game. It was a testament to how he was able to save me through his friendship. I smiled at the thought and then smiled even more as I got ready to see my World Champion fiancé so I could kiss him on the field in the rain and end this fairytale season in the best possible way.