Chapter 20

The rest of the postseason I focused on our team goal of winning a championship for the city of Chicago. The games we played up till now have been a testament to both how talented our team is as well as how great we are able to work together. We finished off the Giants in 4 games, and then pulled out a tough series against the Dodgers advancing us to the Cubs' first World Series since the 1940s. What made it sweeter was that winning the championship would make it the teams' first since 1908. The fans deserve it.

The entire team was out on the field celebrating and spraying each other with champagne after Hendricks completely dominated the pitching of Kershaw. We had done it. We were on our way to a championship that if we win would completely change our lives.

With a short few days before the first game, I had time to do something I knew would be really important. Winning a championship with the greatest team I have ever been a part of is going to make my entire year and be something I will always remember but what I have planned for before game 1 is going to be a memory that I will cherish for just as long.

After Alex left our apartment around noon to go see some friends, I drove over to Chicago Med and walked up to Dr. Rhodes' office. He was working on something at his computer but quickly looked up and welcomed me in after I knocked.

"Kris, what brings you by?" He said shocked by my presence in his office.  I looked down at the photo of Alex on his desk and smiled.

"This has been a crazy year," I said sitting down across from him, "how are you holding up? I know Alex has been seeing her mom more frequently."

"Weird, huh?" He said "I don't know how I feel about it. I spent most of her life preparing her for the day she might want to find her. I made sure she knew why she had left. But I never thought she would forgive her so easily. I still haven't."

"I know it has been hard," I said not even anywhere close to understanding what he was going through, "but you should know that Alex has been having a hard time with wanting to see her and not wanting to offend you. She loves you so much."

"I know," he said with a momentary look of happiness and then a knock came from the door behind me. Dr. Rhodes looked up and I turned around to see a nurse standing there.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Dr. Reed is on his way here for a consult. He asked that I prep you on what has been happening with his patient and then to meet him up in the OR," she spoke.

"Alright, how many minutes out is he?" He asked the nurse.

"About 10," she said and he told her he would be there to meet with her in a few moments.

"I'm sorry to cut this short," he walked to the door, "but work calls. Was there anything else you came here for other than to see me?" He laughed.

"Yes. Dr. Rhodes, actually. I came here because I love Alex and wanted to ask you if you would be okay with..." I got choked up, "with me..."

"Are you really asking me if you can propose to my daughter?" He asked walking back to his desk and sitting back down deep in thought.

"That is what I was trying to ask, yes." I said closing my eyes and then slowly peeking over at him making sure he wasn't going to freak out.

I could tell that he was having a hard time processing what had just occurred. I feared that I had chosen a bad time to ask his permission but I had an appointment to pick out the ring this afternoon and wanted to do this the right way in the eyes of his daughter. And that included asking her hero for his blessing first.

"When do you plan on asking her?" He said.

"On Thursday," I responded, "On the mound before the game. In front of everyone." I thought about how Alex is going to react when she sees the audience she will have surrounding her. It will be a moment that she will never forget.

"Oh boy, poor Alex," He joked and then took a few deep breaths. "Alright. Looks like you will need to get me a front row ticket to the game. What are those playoff seats going for at Wrigley a couple thousand?" He finally spoke, giving what sounded to me like his permission.

"With your blessing, sir, you can stand on the field and watch," I said excitedly, "As long as this stays a surprise for her."

"Dr. Rhodes?" The nurse returned to grab him. He got up once again, this time really needing to go.

"Kris, you have my blessing," he said, "I don't trust anyone with my daughter more than I trust you. Call me with the details and I will be there. Thursday will be a special day."

'That it will' I thought as we left in opposite directions. He was about to head into an open heart surgery on a patient and I was about to go perform a task that was equally as stressful as I run into a jewelry store and have no idea what I am buying, or doing, for that matter.

My parents and her father were now the only three people that I had told about the proposal and I wanted to keep it that way. I knew that if I told anyone else they would feel guilty for hiding it from her or possibly ruin the moment. The only other people I needed to involve were the higher ups at Wrigley. I made a quick phone call before walking in for the ring. I wanted to ensure not only that I am able to do it out on the field during the opening ceremonies but also that I could use the big screen as well. They were as ecstatic as I was in doing it before the first world series game but said I would have to pay for the graphics. That did not bother me I was willing to pay anything to make the moment special for her. Then I thought to myself whether or not fireworks when she said yes would be too much. 

I laughed at the thought.