Chapter 23

The days following our engagement were insane. Instead of having time to celebrate and be together we were on a hectic schedule of flying between Chicago and Cleveland and being unable to see each other much because of the games. I saw more of Jake while hanging with his family than I did of Kris because of Jake not playing in every game and Kris having no time to be off the field.

For Kris, these games were his life. He needed to be as focused as possible in order to contribute to the team and win the championship. A great way to finish off after the monumental season he has had.

It all comes down to today. Game 7 of the World Series in Cleveland. Kris and his teammates are either going to win it all and celebrate for a long time with each other, their families and with the city or they are going to head home to Chicago with their heads hanging low and their spirits deflated. Something that would just break my heart for them.

I wanted them to know I was proud either way at how far they have come and so I took one final trip down to the locker room before the game.

"Miss, you are not authorized to be down here," a Cleveland executive stopped me from gaining access to the tunnels leading down to the locker room.

"I am sorry. I'm so used to being able to," I shook my head looking to see if I still had my MLB badge on me that gained me access to any area on the field and off. I couldn't find it.

"Who did you say you were?" The man asked.

"I was an athletic trainer for the Cubs, uh.. You may have heard of me actually. I'm Kris Bryant's fiancé."

"We can't let you down just because you are someone's fiancé and as for no longer being with the team that will not grant you access either," he looked unapologetic and turned to talk to another man that worked for Cleveland, ignoring my plea to walk down to see the guys.

I quickly took out my phone to call Jackson but he didn't answer.

After giving up I walked back to my seat and sat there watching the field as the guys all slowly started coming out of the dugout. It was the first time that it sank in that I had completely lost all I had worked for and that I am going to have to start somewhere new with a new team if I wanted to still be an Athletic Trainer.

I felt sad. I saw Addy then Riz and Kris walk out with their game faces on and I wondered what had been said in their group meeting. The meeting that I had wanted to go to and that I used to be a part of before every game. Did they still miss me?

Then I saw that Jackson was standing at the staircase taping up Javy's wrist. It was another day at the ballpark for the guys, each of them looking more pumped and determined than I have ever seen them and Jackson fitting in and doing his job maybe even better than I could.

"Hey, girl. What's wrong?" Brittany startled me as she walked in with a child in each arm and a look of concern.

"Oh, nothing," I said sitting up straight and changing the look on my face from slightly depressed to joyous. Seeing her and her children reminded me once more of the world outside of the ballpark and what my life would be like starting tomorrow and for the next few months when Kris doesn't have to get up everyday and play baseball. Even though I respect that it is his life, knowing that he gets a break for us to spend time together excites me so much.

"Good, cause our men are about to be World Series champions and I might start sobbing so bare with me," she joked as she set them down and I pulled the kids into my arms for a group hug.

"Auntie Alex," they were excited to see me.

We were joined by the wives and girlfriends and families of many more of the guys for the last time of the season and I reflected on how far I have come. I went from being a replacement Athletic Trainer for the team to being there for them at every game, to missing much of the season in and out of the hospital and in physical therapy and finally I have spent the final stretch here as now the fiancé of the best baseball player in the national league, if not the entire MLB. And I must add he is pretty darn cute.

I looked out at Kris on the field and couldn't help but smile.

The game started off better than anything I have seen and it seemed like our Cubbies had the win in the bag. However, they felt so confident that they let their momentum slightly slip out of their grasp. We all sat in shock as the Indians ended up tying the game up nearing the end of the game. I knew I wouldn't be able to take another minute of the game if it went into extra innings and I prayed that they would score in the top of the ninth.

Right on cue as Kris stood up to the plate with 2 outs in the ninth and took a few practice swings it started to rain. At first it was slow as he looked up and let it sprinkle down on his face. Then he took a deep breath and the rain picked up. The thunder rolled in and it was like a scene out of a dramatic baseball movie.

"Heroic baseball player leads team to victory through the rumble" I could picture the headlines.

Brittany grabbed my hand as I stood up, my heart beating uncontrollably for the vulnerable position Kris was in. He held the fate of the team in his hands and within the swing of his bat.

Then he hit a pop fly out to center field and the Cleveland crowd roared with excitement. He retreated to the dugout shaking his head. Everyone in the room with me looked disappointed. It made me upset. Kris could have been the hero in that moment but it isn't about one person being the hero for the team. It is about the entire team working together as a unit to get themselves their championship. They needed to work together to ensure that the Indians don't score and then they can work even harder in the 10th to make something happen.