Chapter Eight - Changing Perspectives

Natalia POV

I decided on a dark purple knee length dress with black flats, pairing well with my black purse and silver jewellery. My blonde curls were pulled up into a bun with loose curls framing my face. I pulled on my glasses, the thick frames crowing my vision for the first few minutes until I got used to them.

I had barely gotten enough time to get ready when there was a knock at my door. The apartment was small, so it only took me a few seconds to go from my bedroom at the back of the apartment through the living room and kitchen to the front door, where I knew a certain detective would be waiting for his date.

I opened the door, whilst putting on my earrings, and giving the man on the other side a bright grin.

I mentally reminded myself to keep my accent away for the rest of the night.

‘Hi Detective,’ I smiled at the man, who looked quite handsome in dark pants paired with a light blue button up, covered partially by his dark jacket. His short hair was styled nicely and I could smell his cologne from the short distance between us.

The detective cleaned up well.

‘Call me Dexter,’ he corrected, a smile plastered to his face ‘You look beautiful Natalie’

‘Thank-you Dexter,’ I blushed, grabbing my purse and walking towards him, locking the door as I went.

‘So, where are we going tonight Dexter?’ I asked the man, who gave me a sly smile.

‘It’s a secret.'

‘A secret?’

‘You’ve never heard of a secret?’ He laughed and I couldn’t help but smile.

We walked down the hallway and strolled down the stairs, casual conversation flowing between us as we went.

------------

‘What is this place?’ I asked, bewildered.

We had just gotten out of his car after driving for about twenty minutes.

He parked in a small car park and started walking towards the large building before us.

The building looked to be some sort of store or warehouse from this angle, its dark brick walls making it hard to identify.

We walked through the back door and I was instantly hit by bright lights and loud noises, a few seconds later I realised that I was standing in a kitchen, where a group of people where cooking in large pots over industrial sized hotplates.  

One man, an older man with dark skin, looked up and saw us, a big smile instantly being transformed onto his features, directed at the man standing next to me.

‘Dexter!’ He greeted, walking over and pulling the other man into a fast hug. He then turned his attention onto me, ‘You must be Natalie! Dexter here told me that you two would be stopping by’

I smiled at the man, then shot Dexter a confused look.

Where was I?

This was not an ordinary restaurant.

‘Here,’ Dexter said, handing me an apron.

He laughed at my confused expression.

‘This is the Chicago soup kitchen, I help out here every Friday night, and since you’re with me tonight, how do you feel about helping out?’

The real me was screaming that I would rather die, but since Natalie was a ‘good girl’ I just smiled and replied, ‘Sounds great’, before grabbing the apron and pulling it over my head.