Chapter Twelve - Dinner Date

Natalia’s POV

I ended up cancelling dinner that night with Dexter. I had too much to think about.

The other day was such a close call, not only did they almost see me but my mission is failing miserably. I still didn’t have any leverage over Dexter and my family was still in danger. The fear of failure loomed over me, like a dark cloud and I was waiting for the rain to fall.

I decided to change tactics and follow Dominika’s advice, distancing myself. I shouldn’t be so selfish when my family was so close to danger. My brother’s protection meant more than my feelings, right?

I had half a mind to tell my father that I was giving up and to hand the job over to someone else, but my pride stopped me. I had to do this.

I was sitting in my real apartment, alone when my phone rang on the sofa next to me.

‘Hello.’

‘Kitten.’

‘Papa!’ The sound of his voice was reassuring and I hoped that he had good news.

‘How is you’re task going Kitten?’

‘Uh, Good,’ I lied, but I couldn’t exactly let my father know of my current predicament, otherwise he would surely pull me from the task. He couldn’t know I had mixed feelings about the task.

‘Any new information?’

‘Uh Not yet.’

‘Ok, I need you to get some information for me.’

‘Sure, what is it?’

‘A murder in a bar last night, the name’s ‘Steve Keller’ and I need to know if Dexter thinks we are involved. Erik did it, and I just have to make sure that they are not going to be on his case again. According to Oleg the police don’t think so, but it seems that Dexter hasn’t been sharing everything he is suspicious of.’

‘I will find out.’

‘Let me know what you find, tomorrow.’

‘Tomorrow?’ he was giving me one night to do this?

‘Yes. Is that a problem?’

‘N-No.’

‘Good. Bye Kitten.’

He hung up and I felt conflicted.

I took a deep breath and tried to remember that I was distancing myself from Dexter, that this was important.

I looked at my phone, it was only a few hours until I was going out to dinner with him. I was going to get this information out of Dexter, one way or another.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

I got to the restaurant and was surprised by how nice it was. The room was quite big and elegant, the many tables covered in pristine dinnerware and glasses, the chairs high backed and expensive looking. There was a band playing in the corner of the room and as the waitress led me to the table I passed many smiling people, some on dates others with their family. All looked quite dressed up and proper.

As I approached the table I noticed Dexter, he was wearing a suit, a smile covering his features as he saw me.

‘Nat!’ He jumped up from his chair to give me a light kiss and motioned for me to sit down.

‘Dexter,’ I said looking around, ‘This place is amazing.’

‘I wanted tonight to be special,’ He said, pulling my hands into his. His thumb rubbing gentle circles on my skin as we talked.