Five

If you haven't checked the cast list, do so now! If you're unable to access it then for this chapter the characters are: 

Eve: Kelly Kruger 
Alexandria: Linsey Godfrey
William Staunton: Matt Bomer
Prudence 'Redhead': Erin Chambers

•  •  •

"Shall we start the renovation then?" Esme asked timidly, afraid that we would erupt in arguments over the decision of staying.

"Yes, I think we should." Carlisle kissed Esme's head after sensing her concern about the family.

"Alright, well, Edward has knocked the appropriate walls down, so I need the piping and electrics to be done while we place the stud walls and structure the scaffolding; the tiles on the roof need to be corrected, the frames of windows should be placed and then we can focus on putting the glass in! I want the attic flooring to be looked at as well, Emmett, can you do the latter? Edward, you wanted to do the electrics and piping, correct?" Esme listed, her voice brightening like usual when she explained one of her beloved projects.

I nodded, trying to tune Esme's protests out.

Edward, can't someone go with you? I don't want you to be alone down there given the circumstances. Esme pleaded silently. I, very slowly, shook my head. I would be fine, plus there was heaps to do and we couldn't slow down because of a 'mere' hurdle on the track.

"I'll begin that immediately," I said dismissively, not bothering to hear the rest of the instructions as it didn't concern me. From what Jasper was thinking from earlier, he held possession of the piping and wires that I would need in his lorry. Thankfully for me, they were stored nearer the front of the massive load.

Knowing there were no humans around, I flashed with my vampire speed to the correct lorry and slid the door up with no effort. The door slammed open and viewed the many stud walls, rolls of carpet, crates of tiles, and wrapped glass inside. But that wasn't what I needed.

In front of me, at arms reach, was rolls of wiring, that I would have to attach and then call the electricity company to connect and verify, yellow rubber wrapped gas pipe, and blue rubber wrapped water pipe.

It was a usual drill when renovating houses, to attach ourselves to the main power supply and then call one of the companies over to 'turn it on'. They had the easy job, while we lie and say another company did the work of new piping and wiring. It was simple, really. For this house, I would have to thread the piping from underground past the basement and into the walls.

I preferred the more physical jobs, like this, than helping around the house and changing jobs every ten minutes because of completing them so quickly.

Throwing the wires and pipes over my shoulders and carrying them in my arms, I walked around the side of the crumbling house and to the back garden, humming lightly under my breath.

Not paying my family any more attention as they started to scramble around the house, I plonked the contents on the floor and plugged my earphones back into my ears, instantly pressing play, letting my concerns be consumed by the emotions of blues music.

•  •  •

I tunneled my way at the appropriate depth through the saturated ground quickly with my nonexistence fatigue, strength, and speed, working like an animal, digging for its home. However, whilst trekking through the dirt, I spotted the mass of small discoloring tough, for being underground, objects.

They were peculiar things, once obviously white, and very durable. They weren't chalk, nor any type of rock, but just things that were close to the surface, but deep enough not to be weathered away by vast amounts of rain or snow. I would have thought they would have been scattered across the territory, or at least where I had been previously digging, but no. They were in our particular place, dispersed together in a three-foot area.