Sixteen

I could only predict it had been four miles, the expected distance, when I witnessed the change in color between the trees. Instead of the usual sight of a brown darkness, I saw a similar shade of gray as the sky above us. Frowning in curiosity, but feeling a bundle of anticipation within, I continued to match Bella's pace until the trees branched off into a beautiful scene.

I could see why Bella thought of this meadow as a paradise.

Although winter had torn the flowers away, the green lush grass still stood tall and uncut in a rough circle with a radius of at least thirty feet. Holding buds of rain, the grass climbed up to my knees, brushing their wet contents onto my jeans while Bella beside me merely walking through it. My quiet chuckle sang over the mellow crashes of water from the brook beside us, an enchanting atmosphere showering us when we both smiled.

The muddied flow eddied through the meadow, pulling the soft sides in its path, adding to the thick substance below. Carriages of twigs and leaves floated too, journeying until it found the river miles away.

"It certainly is something," I commented, following Bella to the center of the meadow where she sat down, crossed legged under her dress. I could only imagine what this meadow would look like in the summer, at its full potential.

"It is," Bella sighed. "Sadly, after my gardeners retired, the meadow has been rejected, excluding the stray hikers."

My eyes scanned the depths of the forest around us, trying to find any indication that a human had been here recently, but there was none.

"Tell me," Bella perked, leaning toward me, "what are the perks of being a vampire?" I predicted this question was on my horizon, it was only natural for her to be curious, as I was for her, but the terminology of 'perks' was hardly the correct word.

I wouldn't call seeing everyone I knew die around me whilst I stayed the same age a perk, nor the constant worry of murdering someone by accident. Being what I was, I couldn't become close to anyone and be social, just in case they wanted to 'meet up' when I would be supposedly thirty.

Most would think the no-sleeping would be a blessing, especially when exams were coming up, however,  never being able to have a dream, somewhere in a  better universe where things were completely different was hideous. In addition the infertility was painful, not for me, but for my sister, as we saw people younger than us begin families. Honestly, the hardest part of immortality was when we were at the age of parenting, those late twenties and thirties, when screaming children were everywhere. The parents were the same age as us, but we were denied the mere possibility.

"The speed," I started, hesitating for two seconds, not long enough for her to notice. Sticking to my promise that I made for myself, I stood with my vampire speed and dashed to the other side of the brook, turning around to witness her reaction.

I was expecting horror, distaste, as I was something that wasn't normal- granted, nor was she- therefore, when her awed face finally stretched into a smile while I returned to her, I lightly shook my head. "The strength, also," I continued with a shrug.

"What strength do you possess?" she questioned, her eyes never leaving me when I sat beside her.

I grinned at the question, struggling to find an equivalent. "Well, I have yet to find something that I could not pick up. Easily, with my pinky finger," I rose my left littlest finger. "I can boulders."

"Impressive," she replied. "Although, I am quite sure I can outrun you if we were to compete," she finished, quirking an eyebrow and suppressing a smile.

"Oh, you believe that do you?" I grinned, eyes wide in exaggerated shock.

"Indeed, I do."

"To think no vampire has ever beaten me in a race," I hinted, "I look forward to our contest when returning back home."