Six

William Staunton above. 

•   •   •

"That would be all, sir," the young man from the local water company told Carlisle as I was weeding the territory, away from the eyes of the various humans as I was draped in dirt still.

"Thank you," Carlisle answered, walking to the young man and subtly ushering him to the door. Esme had been quietly concerned that the man, who had been on the team of men fixing our sewage today, would bring the smells of feces into the house, to which I had been amused since the old sewers were scarce of feces; bearing in mind the sewers ran downhill, only leaving minimal wastewater, the modern sewers didn't pass here, making the sewer practically deserted for three hundred years. 

The man, looking in his young thirties, late twenties, stopped before he reached the door, evidently not finished with his investigating. Carlisle didn't show his impatience. 

"You're very brave moving in here." While his words were kept polite and placid, his mind portrayed something else entirely. When did these people move in here? It looks like over a year! Although, my Wendy said they only arrived yesterday. From what those young boys claimed, this place is haunted, which I don't question. I give it two months before the family move again. "You know, with the local stories and chatter of this place," he continued, raising his head and looking at the scaffolding Emmett had assembled, which supported the roof on the second floor as the attic was crumbling.

"The chatter is only folk stories, simply to keep the children from wandering through the woods and up here, away from the supervision of adults," Carlisle shrugged, defending the house, although, it wasn't just folk stories, and I certainly would not be surprised if the last person who trespassed into the house was frightened by a ghost, who was silently telling them to leave.

This guy is a lunatic! Young families these days, thinking only about the money aspect of things. This place was probably as cheap as selling my PlayStation Two games on Ebay.

"Let's hope so, ay?" He paused. "Well, I better be off. If you have any further inquiries about the sewers, just give us a call." The young man then rotated around, walking out. When the car was far enough that we could be ourselves, everyone, including myself, let out a relieved sigh. We all were thinking the same thing throughout the humans' visit, hoping that no ghost made an abnormal appearance, which we would have to pay the consequences to, by enduring more stories.

The house soon went into full swing, with the household divided equally, with Esme, Alice, and Carlisle downstairs, building the kitchen, painting, tiling, and fixing the downstairs bathroom, while Jasper, Rosalie, and Emmett, worked upstairs, plastering the plasterboards of both the walls and ceiling, carpeting, and placing the grand oak stairs in.

My job was exterior painting.

Fun.

"The gas man will be arriving in forty minutes," Alice informed over the drills, "so I think it may be helpful if the gas oven was in. Emmett, have you finished the radiators?" Pause. "Yes you have," she answered for him, seeing through her visions.

"Then, of course, the second water company will be around, attaching all of the appliances to the water, instead of the sewers," Esme followed, ensuring the issue of having most finished apart from the paint and plaster work.

I didn't linger around the house, useless, but jogged to the van out front, swinging the doors a little too forcefully, and collecting handfuls of plaster bags and the large seven tins of white paint, each bucket holding a gallon, ready for the large house.