Nighttime Curse

Chapter Eleven 

Nighttime Curse

© Copyright 2012

I used my reserved, super-human strength to tear open the elevator doors. Emsley followed me as I jumped out of the high death box and landed gracefully on the linoleum floor. I sprinted out of the hotel as the harpies hissed and flew in the air above us.

We got outside, and I immediately froze up. The moonless night wrapped around me and I screamed. Emsley looked at me, worriedly and I shrieked, "Get away! Get out of here as fast as you can just go!" 

I could tell he wanted to stay, but he reluctantly trusted my judgement. The last glimpse I caught of him was a streaking figure in the midnight sky. I felt myself being pulled out of my reality and my vision blurred. I stumbled about until finally I fell to the ground and entered a world of darkness.

/// Unknown POV \\\

I looked around the fretting crowd of people and slashed through them with my amazingly sharp claws. I enjoyed their blood-curdling screams ringing in my ears and looked around for more shrieking music to reach me. 

I swiped my furry, lethal paw across a pathetic human's face. The scent of their blood wafted in my nose and I stopped running and returned to them. I sniffed the being once more then tore away from their delicious aura.

My muscles felt jittery and excited as my paws pounded on the ground in a long run. I had never felt better. The wind flew through my coat of fur and I opened my mouth, longing for the sweet taste of night air. My tongue bounced around, and my ears were listening for the slightest sound.

I heard the ancient whispers of harpies in the distance and ran to them, silently. I sprung up on the smaller of the two and bit down into its wrinkled skin. It screeched in terror as I left the pitiful creature to die. 

The larger of the two flapped away in fear, but I caught up with its slow pace almost instantly.

"NO!!" It shrieked, "Please, do not kill me. Master Brent will not be pleased with my death! I will do anything for my life. I swear it upon my grave!" 

My ears perked up with the name Brent. It sounded familiar–as if I had heard it before... I lifted my claw up so a pool of blood drained out of the hideous harpy's body.

As soon as I released pressure, the creature escaped my grasp and clumsily tried to escape. It cackled away into the night as I sat my bum down. My tail swished and I cocked my head. Who was this...Brent? I wanted to know, but it'd be best to get an ally before runnning into a suspected trap. 

I turned around as I felt a presence behind me. A human was shaking with terror and I snarled, making it flee in terror. I bared my teeth at it's retreating figure and let out a loose howl into the warm night. Then, I ran.

/// Iris's POV \\\

I woke up from the eternity of black in the early morning. The sun was rising and a wave of happiness ran through me. It only lasted a few seconds, though. Suddenly I remembered about the harpies and Emsley and the witnesses. 

"Emsley?" I called out, softly.

After only a moment a flying figure soared down to my aid. He ran to me and pulled me into an embrace. He kissed my lips passionatley and then wiped a tear from his gorgeous blue eyes.

"Do you remember anything?" He asked. I shook my head and he sighed, "Then let's keep it that way."

He gently picked me up in his strong, capable arms and flew back home. I fell asleep a little way into the journey and curled up into Emsley. He was the only person I trusted now. Because, truth be told, I remembered one thing. An important thing, and it had to do with a certain someone by the name of Brent.

Hi guys! I'm super busy (as always) but I made this chapter at midnight. Kieth's complaining that I need to turn everything off–so I must listen to him or face being woken up by JB for the next week *shivers* Anyway... hope you like! :) Dedicated to wavesandshells for being an awesome friend :P

~Topaz/ForTheGlory