Prologue

"From childhood's hour I have not been. As others were, I have not seen. As others saw, I could not awaken. My heart to joy at the same tone. And all I loved, I loved alone."

-Edgar Allen Poe

Recommended Song: Skyfall by Adele

A/N- The Recommended song will just be an optional tune to listen to as you read the chapter to get in the mood of the story. These will be available in various chapters for your enjoyment. Thank you.

****

~

It was a dark and stormy start to the ominous night in the late 11th century. A night in which most people would be too cowardly to go out in let alone be riding in its furious storms in only the family carriage; but it was a pleasant and oddly satisfying sight compared to what Avia and Emilia witnessed several nights ago in the place they used to call home. 

They both had experienced the despondency of defeat and loss as a dark substance ravaged their village, only for it to be consumed by what people referred to the "black death." Yet the worst of it all was the tragic moment when they watched their older brother, Aiden, struck by the plague and taken away from both of them as they were unable to do anything, observing with a sense of hopelessness.

There was now only a small circle of family members that they could trust besides themselves, and as one knows, trust is a hard thing to come across in the world afflicted by detrimental evils. Family, although, is a blessing, as they say, and both Emilia and Avia would protect theirs from all, especially since there was a vital piece already lost to mankind.

As the exterior of the carriage was afflicted by the corruptness of the world, the interior was no better. Inside the dark confinement was one Nora Luna along with her youngest Sara, both holding on to one another for what seemed dear life itself. Evidently from afar she was soundly asleep, but from a closer inspection one would notice that the women both girls had titled "mother" from a young age, had strained eyes streaked with tears that had been shed over the loss of so much. A sadness had taken root within her and displayed itself in one of her most defenseless moments, one where she could not cover it with her small, forced smile.

Now onto the little girl, Sara; ironically the name even presents her innocence in the world along with her pure age of five, both of which have masked her from the havoc present in the ever-changing world. Although it is this "innocence" that presented her with a need for answers, the curious fact and question of why one of her own from the "magical" carriage that she was arriving to her storybook-ball in, was no longer there. Although, she had yet to understand that everything disappears at midnight, and consequently it was much past when the clock struck twelve. 

Avia and Emilia looked at each other with feeling of desolation and grief. They were no longer able to see their true feelings, ones they had kept hidden, showcased on their own faces and instead found them on a face of another; their beautiful mother. Both looked towards the window to the outside world where the fury of god was exhibited in an extravagant manner as the cries of millions hit the earth in vexations, a fitting display of their pain.

Yes

A thought became clear.

This is a pleasant sight.

Staring out the window their minds drifted to their brother's last words, "Be strong my little princesses and soon you will all find a prince to whisk you away" The memory only made the cut, already a large gash within their hearts, grow deeper. The memory of life leaving Aiden's eyes on the very tip of their minds. They once again looked at each other and the first words of the dark night was finally spoken,

"I promise to be strong, for the fate of this family rests on our shoulders, but no prince will ever come for me, no prince will ever save me from the darkness that we have already been succumb to."

 With these words left lingering in the air, the two locked gazes for one last second, knowing that the statement held a heavy truth, before letting their eyes shut and succumbing to the darkness, allowing it to enter their minds once more.

Only one thought bringing any light. 

The thought that tomorrow they would both be in a new world.

A source of evil or light?That was yet to be discovered. 

A place that they would learn to call home.