Chapter 27

Cara's POV

Previously on 'Why Me?', Cara's POV

"I kissed Luke," I whispered quietly, silently hoping he wouldn't hear.

But he did.

I could tell.

His arms tightened slightly around me, and his body stiffened.

"I'm so sorry," I apologized sincerely.

I was truly sorry for him that I kissed Luke, but I didn't regret it.

And I hated myself for it.

*************************************

"You what?" Niall asked, not sounding angry, but just more heartbroken.

"I kissed Luke," I said a little louder, looking up at him.

"I didn't mean to, it's just...he-" Niall cut me off.

"When?" He whispered, looking at the ground.

I bit my lip.

"It was when you guys came for me," I answered, searching his face for any sign of emotion.

But I couldn't find any.

He was completely closed off.

"Why did you kiss him?" Niall asked quietly. It physically hurt me to see him like this.

"I don't- I don't know...I guess it was because it seemed like he needed me there and, like you said, you weren't there and I had just lost my mate," I explained, not really knowing the answer myself.

Niall just looked at me a long time. I bit my lip again, not sure what he was thinking. Then, after several seconds, he crashed his lips to mine, kissing me feverishly.

I relaxed slightly, but not much.

After a couple of moments, we broke apart, our heavy breaths mixing together in the small space between us.

"I'm not mad at you, I'm just frustrated with myself for not being there for you," Niall panted, pressing his forehead to mine.

"What did I ever do to deserve someone like you?" I asked honestly. He was completely perfect, and I was just a screwup. It was completely my fault for breaking his heart like this.

I was the one who let Luke kiss me.

I was the one who kissed him back.

I was the one who didn't want him to stop kissing me.

"I just don't want to lose you to him," Niall says, lightly cupping the side of my face with his hand.

"And you won't, I promise," I said, leaning into his hand and covering it with my own.

And I truly believed that.

Niall smiled softly down at me, but it was filled with sympathy.

Oh no...

"What?" I asked, slightly worried. He bit his lip, a sign that he either didn't want to tell me or he was nervous about it.

Probably both.

"Nothing," He said, not looking at me.

Another sign that he was lying.

"Niall tell me," I demanded gently.

He shook his head.

"It's nothing. Really. Now, I have to go get the boys and discuss what we're going to do about...well, you know," Niall said, softly grasping my hands with his.