This Girl

There was a day that came when great excitement was in the air. For me though it was a day like any other, not enough food, hungry, and bored. I had been here for maybe three weeks and man was I ready to leave. Just when I had given up on the "excitement" she walked through the gate. She was young, spirited, and agile, a lot like I was about 15 years ago. First she looked at my buddy Bonus. He was a younger mustang of about half my size, but trustworthy. "This here mustang is a great kids horse! He'd make you a fantastic first horse." Though not the most social type. She only gave him a small glance before looking to me, she had this glow. Almost a twinkle. I thought, maybe it's a sign of hope, maybe this isn't the end. The girl put my halter on and walked me to the tie post. There she brushed me. Just brushed my dull, dusty coat, for a full hour. She loathed me in cookies and praise. When finally she finished; now don't get me wrong I loved every bit of it; she saddled me up and we went for the round pen. Now I could tell she was a beginner, but I could also tell she was a natural. We walked and trotted around that pen. I was weak and could not show her my true "magic". And as we trotted around that small pen I realized I have one final job before its time. 30 years or not I've got a lot to teach this girl.