The Professor of Nothing

(Utopia: Part 3)

"Beware the sound of drums." -Cyndi Shirk

Back in the lab, the Doctor looked at one the cables, bringing it to his mouth and snatching a quick taste to confirm. "Is that...?"

"Yes, gluten extract," Yana said. "Binds the neutrino map together."

"But that's food," the Time Lord said. "You've built this system out of food and string and staples. Professor Yana, you're a genius."

"Says the man who made it work," Yana deferred.

"Ooh... it's easy coming in at the end but... you're stellar. This is... this is magnificent. And I don't often say that 'cause... well, 'cause of me."

"Well, even my title is an affectation," Yana admitted. "There hasn't been such a thing as a university for over a thousand years. I've spent my life going from one refugee ship to another."

"If you had been born in a different time, you'd be revered," the Doctor told him earnestly. The professor chuckled. "I mean it. Throughout the galaxies."

"Oh, those damned galaxies," Yana said dryly. "They had to go and collapse." He chuckled shortly again. "Some admiration would have been nice. Just a little. Just once."

"Well you've got it now," the Doctor said. "But that footprint engine thing. You can't activate it from on board. It's gotta be done from here. You're staying behind."

"With Chantho," Yana said. "She won't leave without me. Simply refuses."

"You would give your life so they could fly."

"Oh, I think I'm a little too old for Utopia," Yana responded. "Time I had some sleep."

The voice of Atillo came through over the intercom again. "Professor, tell the Doctor we found his blue box."

"Ah!" the Doctor exclaimed happily.

"Doctor," Jack called from one of the other consoles. Yana and the Doctor moved over, glancing at the monitor that displayed an image of the TARDIS on one of the security cameras.

"Professor," he said, patting Yana on the shoulder. "It's a wild stab in the dark, but I might just have found you a way out."

Yana could only stare at the screen.

Ba da da dum, ba da da dum, ba da da dum.

~~~

The Doctor was snaking a cable through the TARDIS doors and into one of the console in the lab when Mallory reappeared. "...extra power!" the Time Lord was saying. "Little bit of a cheat, but who's counting? Jack, you're in charge of the retro-feeds."

"Oh, I'm glad to see that," Mallory said, gazing at the TARDIS as Chantho followed a few steps behind her.

"Chan—Professor, are you all right—tho?" Chantho asked, looking at Yana who was sitting down with an exhausted air around him.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine. Just get on with it."

"Connect those circuits into the spar, same as the last lot,"Jack told Mallory, gesturing. "But quicker."

"Aye aye, Captain," she said with a teasing grin. He winked in return.

The Doctor moved, bending down beside Yana. "You don't have to keep working. We can handle it."