Ghosts on the Valiant

(The Sound of Drums: Part 4)

"That's what we are. Ghosts." -The Doctor

While nearing three in the morning in London, it was only just past eight in the evening in Utah. Weighing the balance of needing to keep out of the public eye while trying desperately to keep up with the news and not trusting their phones any longer, Jason, Matt, and Adam had holed up in a small diner in the outskirts of Provo.

"And as the eyes of the world turn towards Great Britain, sources indicate that Air Force One has landed on British soil tonight."

"Like that will do any good," Matt said with a quiet scoff, looking away from the grimy television. "Whatever Saxon's got up his sleeve, Winters jamming his nose into things isn't going to help any."

"Why are you so sure he's up to no good?" Adam asked.

"Because I do," Matt couldn't help but snap. "Just trust me, all right?"

Adam leaned back in his seat, eyes hard. "Considering the fact that you and Mal swanned off for what has apparently been eight months for you without a word to the rest of us—"

"Leave Mal out of this," Matt said acidly.

Adam continued on, ignoring him, "—and this entire thing has come down on our heads because of that, forgive me if my trust in you is a little fragile right now."

"Adam—" Jason started.

"Look, if you want to try your luck back home then be my guest," Matt said with a sweeping gesture toward the door. "I'm not stopping you."

"Matt—"

"Who says I won't?" Adam asked.

"Don't see you standing up."

"Both of you, knock it off," Jason finally snapped. "This isn't helping."

They both glared at him for a moment before Matt got to his feet and strode for the door.

Jason looked after him for a moment, before groaning, "Great." He glanced back at Adam before he stood. "Stay here."

He was half afraid he would be greeted by empty air, but when he stepped out onto the raised porch he found Matt leaning over the railing, fiddling absently with the ring on his left hand.

Wonder if he thinks I haven't noticed, Jason thought to himself. Now wasn't exactly the time to inquire on things of that nature, though.

"What now?"

"Just making sure you didn't take off on us."

"Like I would."

They stood in silence, both swimming in their own thoughts. After a few minutes, Jason glanced down at his watch. "I was supposed to be at dinner with my wife right now."

Matt continued staring straight ahead, but after a moment he whispered, "I'm sorry." He sucked in a breath. "She wasn't...?"

"She was out of town this morning. Should be fine. I can hope."

"Adam's right," Matt said under his breath.

"He didn't mean it."

"So what if he did? He's right. This came down on you because you're connected to us and we're connected to the Doctor. Because I ran off and abandoned you and my life here and my responsibilities. Yeah, I think you have a right not to trust me."