'Hope' Is A Four Letter Word

Everything that kills me / Makes me feel alive. -One Republic, 'Counting Stars'

"No! No, that's not what we're asking!" Mallory took a few steps closer to the Drast, as if it that would make it easier to convince them. "We don't want you to put us out of our misery, we want you to help us!"

"We thought you would be content," one of the Drast said, managing to sound puzzled even with its odd inflection.

"This is what will take place," said another.

"We consider it favorable."

She couldn't bring herself to speak, and it seemed Matt couldn't either. They exchanged wide-eyed glances, a thousand words unspoken between them.

In order to save the world from the Master, they had to save it from the Drast first.

The Drast turned away, ignoring them. "Begin the next recalibration test."

Mallory hadn't even noticed another volunteer had been brought in already. She peeked over the edge.

Rath.

He glanced up and met her eyes for a moment, but nothing worthwhile was conveyed in his gaze. A second later he looked down again, fiddling with his harness. "This is loose," she heard him say. "Can you tighten the buckle? I can't reach it. I don't want it coming off." Looking up again, he met her gaze once more. This time he winked.

Oh, you idiot, she thought, realization coming over her. He was surrounded by guards and about to try something. He was going to get himself killed. Normally she wouldn't lose any sleep over the thought, but besides Matt, Rath was the closest thing she had to an ally against the Drast.

"Stop!" she cried, thinking quickly. "He's not a suitable candidate to test the Segue!"

As one, the six Drast turned to stare at her. Below, the three guards did the same, looking to the Drast for instructions.

Their momentary distraction was all Rath needed. He decked the guard that had come to adjust his harness, before grabbing hold of the safety line and using it to trip up the other two. Making sure the first was unconscious, he snatched up the man's gun and without a moment for contemplation, shot the other two stone dead.

The second of stunned silence was swiftly shattered by a wailing alarm. The Drast began to glow brighter in dismay. More guards began to storm in but Rath was too quick for them, detaching his safety line and dodging toward one of the Segue's obelisks. The guards raised their weapons but did not shoot, seemingly for fear of damaging the Segue.

"Detain him," one of the Drast said with sudden panic in its voice.

"Disarm him," said another.

"This is unfavorable."

Rath stood just by the Segue itself now, a hungry grin on his face. "You see me, you overgrown glowsticks? I'll be frank with you, I don't know how this thing works!" He raised his newly acquired machine gun, aiming it at one of the obelisks. "But I'll bet you any money that emptying an entire clip into it isn't going to be good for it!"

"The test candidate must not be allowed to damage the Segue," said a Drast. All of them were continuing to shine brighter.

"What would happen if he did?" Matt demanded.

"Concussive, explosive trauma to the Segue assembly could cause Segue generation failure."

"There is also a probability that concussive, explosive trauma to the Segue assembly could trigger a cascade reaction in the black hole converter."