The Master Victorious

(Last of the Time Lords: Part 4)

"It's ready to rise, Doctor. The New Time Lord Empire. It's good, isn't it?" -the Master

A/N: *puts out bat repellent, slams down ten inch steel doors, retreats into the depths of cave*

Mallory wondered, as she stepped outside, if this was the moment Matt had spoken of. It was the first time she had been face-to-face with the Master since she teleported off the Valiant a year ago, and now her husband stood in the background, wide-eyed. She dared not look at him too closely, half afraid she would shatter right then and there if she did.

She couldn't be surprised when the words "Let him go" tumbled past her lips, nor when the Master denied her plea. Mercy had been the last thing she expected from him.

Even as she tried not to, she flinched when he aimed his screwdriver at her.

Nothing came.

Mallory turned back just in time to see Matt look over his shoulder, to watch the grin spread over his face. Mouth hanging open, she glanced from him, to the blinking Master, to the screwdriver now laying on the ground, to the guards.

The guards.

She reached a hand toward Matt, her tongue suddenly made from lead and refusing to form a warning. There was just enough time for her to take two steps before the guard nearest the Master raised his weapon and the shot rang out.

Before the triumph on Matt's face transformed into shock.

Before the front of his shirt began to turn red with alarming speed.

A wordless scream tore from her lips, her feet carrying her forward as he stumbled backward, their combined momentum bringing them both to the ground when they finally collided. She ignored the all too distinct crack in her hand while she landed on it, the sudden throb taking a backseat to her racing thoughts. Not now please not now I'm not ready I can't lose him now—

"Knew that was too easy." His words were breathy, followed by a low groan that silenced her trainwreck of thoughts, leaving her mind suddenly empty and echoing. She shifted her uninjured arm around his shoulders, drawing him closer to her chest in a desperate, futile attempt to offer some comfort to both of them.

"You stupid idiot," she got out, tears spilling from her eyes without her permission.

"Sounds about right."

Mallory choked, the sound mixing into some hysterical half laugh, half cry. "Knew you were going to do this to me since the day you pulled that stunt with the Family."

"Can't help my... self." Matt's eyes slipped shut for a moment and if she hadn't felt him shuddering against her she'd have been afraid he was already gone.

"Shh," she said quietly, chancing a glance down away from his face. Not good. If there was one thing she'd learned in this year it was death, and she knew in that quick look there was nothing short of a literal miracle that would help them now. "Don't talk."

"Bad, yeah?"

"You never listen," she managed softly, voice laced with hushed affection. Somewhere, she was dimly aware the Master and his guards still stood not far away, but as far as she was concerned they might as well be on another planet. "Yeah."

"Feels bad," he said, voice raspier than before.

"No kidding." Even now, they fell back on the banter.