• Twenty One •

21.

"What are we doing now?" Elsa asked with a tiny smile.

"You're really curious, you know" Jack said while chuckling. "I all ready told you it's a surprise"

"You only said that our destination was a surprise" Elsa rolled her eyes teasingly. Jack chuckled again.

"Well, now I've decided that the whole trip is going to be a surprise, princess. Hope you don't mind"

They stayed quiet for a minute, still not moving from their places.

"Can I ask you something?" Elsa said biting her lip.

"You're already asking" Jack joked. Elsa raised an eyebrow. "Kidding. Shoot"

Elsa inhaled deeply, hoping he wouldn't be offended by her question, and also hoping she wasn't intruding so much.

"Why is it still like that?" She asked a bit nervously. Jack looked a bit surprised at first, but she know he knew what she was talking about. Jack gazed at the burnt house for the first time since they arrived there.

He sighed.

"I didn't want anyone to touch it" He barely said. "I know you probably find it insanely creepy, but... I don't know, they wanted to tear it down, some others suggested me to re-build it. I-I couldn't, I thought that if I did, it was like trying to erase them or something, so I left it here." He explained.

Elsa gazed at him intently, processing all that he said in her mind.

"You really should" Elsa finally said, and Jack looked at her confused. "Re-build it, I mean. Maybe you can even move here after college" Elsa said softly.

"I wouldn't be able to live here" Jack said shaking his head. "I'll go insane"

"Then maybe you should give it to someone else" Elsa suggested. "Maybe convert it in a orphanage, or in an animal shelter" Elsa named. "But you can't just leave it here in that state, Jack. I don't think it's good for you" She said softly. "And I know that they'll probably won't want that for you either"

Jack stayed quiet for a moment, he didn't know exactly how to react. Would his family want that for him? Or Burgess? Seeing every day the reminder of one tragedy that occurred 3 years ago?.

"Maybe you're right" He said a bit uncomfortable, looking everywhere but her. He knew she was right, it was just hard to let go, but it was a way to move on.

Elsa smiled sweetly at him, trying to comfort. She knew that he wasn't that enthusiastic about the idea, but him considering it was a huge step for him.

"Can I ask you another question?" Elsa said again, after they finally started to walk slowly through Burgess streets, Jack guiding and Elsa unconsciously following.

"Is this an interrogatory princess?" Jack asked somewhat jokingly, quickly composing himself.

"Well, yes. Yes, it is" Elsa said shrugging. "We're in your hometown after all and I'm curious"

"Fine, I'll answer your questions" Jack said. "Only if you answer mine too" he added with a smirk. Elsa narrowed his eyes at him, but decided to accept anyway. She had nothing to hide anymore, after all.

"Deal" She said, grinning. "But I'm still first." She said, and Jack gestured her to ask away. "Why did Jamie said that he thought he'll never see you again" She asked. Jack shrugged.

"After I got to college, I decided to never come back" He started. "It was the perfect getaway, from all of it. At first, I wanted a 'fresh' start, I thought that maybe I could start again somewhere else. Here I couldn't stand the memories, and the pity looks of people. People always gazed at me with so much pity, it was driving me crazy." He explained. "I guess that was one of the reasons to shut everyone out" He said. "Still, as you might have noticed. My plan didn't work and there was never a fresh start. I just couldn't get everything that happened out of my head. Today was the first time I've visited Burgess in two years"