Skin

"Alright, I figure we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight." Dean reported, to the two people in his car who weren't paying him any attention.

Or so he assumed, as I had a headphone in one ear. The other ear was listening for anything said, but there were more important things that earned my attention. The book I was reading, for one example. It was doing a great job of making me forget the nightmare I'd had about Zack and his girlfriend and the shapeshifter.

"Sam wears Raven's underwear." Dean stated.

"Good for him, they're soft and pretty." I remarked dryly, turning a page in the book. "Hold on- was it the blue one, or the pink?" My tone shifted to defensive. Dean's nose scrunched up at the question itself. "It's a good question! The pink one is satin." Which only helped in that in made Dean's nose scrunch up higher.

"I've been listenin', I'm just busy." Sam countered, sounding more like he was trying to shut me up instead Dean.

"Busy doin' what?" Dean asked.

"Reading emails." Sam replied.

Dean climbed out of the car. I sat up in my seat, trying to look over Sam's shoulder. "From?"

"From my friends at Stanford." Sam answered.

"You're kidding." Dean grabbed the nozzle for the gas. "You still keep in touch with your college buddies?" He laughed.

"Why not?" Sam asked.

"Well, what exactly do you tell 'em?" Dean asked back, making me roll my eyes at him. I paused my music for this bullshit? "You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?"

"I tell 'em I'm on a road trip with my big brother and his friend." Sam explained. "I tell 'em I needed some time off after Jess."

"Aww. You think we're friends." I teased. "Why're you lying to your friends, Sam? You know for a fact that I'm squatting in the backseat."

Sam rolled his eyes at my teasing. "No I don't lie." He defended. "I just don't tell 'em....everything."

"Yeah, that's called lying." Dean remarked as he walked up to Sam's window. "I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse."

"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Sam challenged. When Dean didn't answer, I rolled down my window. "You're serious?"

"Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." I smacked his arm. "Ow!"

"You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam accused.

"She just hit me!" Dean excused.

"It's cause you're antisocial." I informed.

"God..." Sam breathed out.

"What?" Dean asked.

"In this email from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine." Sam explained.

"Is she hot?"

"Is she alright?" I asked.

"I went to school with her, and her brother, Zack. She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend." Dean made a face. Sam looked back at him. "Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case."

"Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?" Dean asked.

"No, man, I know Zack. He's no killer." Sam defended.

"Well, maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you." Dean countered.

"They're in St. Louis. We're goin'." Sam decided firmly.