Chapter 16: Mischief

Sorry for not updating last week and making this a shitty chapter. But still, enjoy.

*****

"Did something happen, Levi? Why are you crying? Why did Eren leave?" Rein sounded so utterly confused being in the dark. He kept on looking at me with a questioning gaze but I couldn't find it in myself to speak. It's like all of the words I know was stolen away from me, rendering me speechless.

Rein sighed and ran a hand through his hair before he moved to stand in front of me. I kept my gaze away from him, opting to look at the floor. He let out another sigh before I felt his arms moving to wrap around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder. He stayed still in his position and I can feel myself slowly relaxing into his arms, his presence despite being gone for too long still familiar enough to bring myself comfort.

I let my head fall onto his shoulder.  My tears kept on flowing, but I can feel it coming to its end. The liquid soaked his shirt but he made no move to stop it. Instead, he tightened his grip and started rubbing small circles on my back.

"Shh, it's okay, Levi."

I don't know if I can believe that.

It only took a few minutes before I ran out of tears and the shaking of my shoulders ceased. Pulling away from Rein's hug, I wiped my face using the sleeve of my shirt. Looking back at him to thank him, my eyes was met with the mess I made on his shirt, causing me to scowl.

"Ah fuck. Sorry about that. I'll get you something to change into." I turned on my heels and made a move to the stairs but I wasn't even able to make two steps before he caught my arm, wrapping his hand around my wrist.

Turning to look at him, I wasn't surprised to see the confused look still plastered on his face. It also didn't help that he looks so much alike with his twin, causing my stomach to twist unpleasantly.

"Levi, please. Can you tell me what's wrong?" Guilt washed over me as I look at him, like I was thrown with a bucket of cold water. I didn't like the way he looked at me, didn't like the expression his face is bearing, but what can I fucking do? If I tell him everything, it may cause a fight between them, and I don't think that neither Eren and I can handle another stress. No matter how selfish it sounded, it's the only thing that I can do.

I shook my head. "Nothing. It's just a misunderstanding."

His grip around my wrist tightened. "I don't think—"

"Rein." I cut him off, sounding exasperated because I am. I am so, so tired, so exhausted that all I wanted is to curl up on my bed and sleep without ever waking up. To just escape all of these and go to some place that I wouldn't ever worry again.

"I'm sorry. Shit, I know that I should respect your decision but, hell, it's hard to when I don't have any idea about what's going on in here."

"It's okay. Humans are curious creatures, after all. I couldn't blame you." I subtly pulled my arm away from him, his hold loosening before he completely released. "I'm going to take a shirt."

I walked away and this time, he didn't stop me.

When I reached my bedroom, the first thing I did is to wash my face with cold water, doing my best to wash away the dried tears and making myself as presentable as I can. I don't have to look in the mirror to see the blank look that took over on my face, tired and totally fucking done with all the bullshits.