Chapter Six

I sat in Christina Black’s office, waiting for Grandma to arrive. I watched the clock as the seconds ticked by. Minutes turned into hours and I was sure she wouldn’t turn up. There was a light tap on the door and I realized my hands were hot and sweaty; I had been biting my nails in anxiety.

An old silver-haired woman pushed open the door and it felt like being in Mrs Thorpe’s office. The only difference being this office had blinds in its windows and I was not being expelled this time.

I ran over to Grandma and squeezed her tight. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed her. “I’ve missed you too!” She whispered into my soft hair. Christina ushered us further into the office and we sat on black leather chairs opposite her. After a firm hand shake she sat herself down.

“Welcome Mrs Blackthorn and Miss Digby. As you know, Polly has settled into her dorm with Megan but we did have a little . . . mishap on her first day of lessons on 20th November.” She paused to reorganise her papers she’d written about me. All good I hoped but I knew it was not true. “Polly was involved in the misbehaviour of her Maths class and she has been punished for her actions. The other students have also been punished.” Christina went on for a while. Explaining almost every detail of my life, so far, at Blue Meadows. I felt exposed; I had kept some things to myself and here she was spilling all the beans. I should have prepared myself for this but I hadn’t and I wasn't ready.

Grandma asked for a moment alone with me. Christina obeyed and left us in her office. "I am not happy that you got into trouble, however, I don't think you were punished in the right manner. The email I sent you was the truth but I think I made a mistake by not telling you in person. I also feel bad because I sent it to you without thinking about your reaction and how it might affect your studies. It doesn't seem to have affected you dramatically but I'm sure you are always thinking about my words. I'm pleased you seem happier here but my offer is still open. You may come home for the summer." She smiled and I mirrored the expression.

Christina returned to her chair and we continued the meeting. "We have a great day out planned in the next few weeks. I think Polly would really benefit from some team building activities." She addressed Grandma as if I wasn't in the room. I rolled my eyes at Christina's suggestion. I had loads of exams to study for and not enough time so I didn't need any more things to do. I voiced my opinion but Christina was a persuasive person.

"You can't sit in your dorm all day, Polly." Grandma said.

"But, what about my exams? Aren't they important?" I countered.

"Yes, and sometimes you have to have a break from it." It was too late, I realized, Grandma had been convinced and wasn't going to change her mind that easily.

After the meeting, Grandma said she had to go straight away. I was disappointed as I didn't get a chance to show her around. She'd come all this way, to England, to see me and she'd spent no more than an hour with me! She instisted she needed to see someone about a cure for some complicated disease that I couldn't pronounce. As soon as she had gone I felt like a piece of me had been taken away and my heart ached for her to return. The next time I'd see her would be in the summer.

_________________________________________________________

Sorry the last bit is in a bigger font, I don't know why. . . Enjoy :3 Loveee <3