new life

new life

o n e

[three days after accident]

"This accident was a blessing in disguise, now we don't have to actually provide a fake story"

Lysandra Gunn was back, with her dark hair in a tight bun and her usual pencil skirt on.

"But, it is a fake story, I'm not dead"

"Karyn Novak is, honey, you're changing your identity again, I'm so glad you listened to me finally"

"But, who am I?"

"Eliana Poraz, you went to highschool at West Palm High in California, you were born to Jon and Alisa Poraz, who recently passed away. You will be dying your hair again, black"

"You gave a lot of thought to this"

"No, part of the job is improv, speaking of which, you have a degree in photography and journalism, you have job interviews when you get to North Carolina"

"Wait, why North Carolina?"

"I like the seafood"

"I hate seafood"

"Karyn hated seafood, Eliana loves it"

She groaned and looked at the hair dye Lysandra had placed on the bathroom counter.

"Now, get to it, we'll have a hair stylist in soon, we're keeping it at your shoulders but I thought we'd take some inspiration from Emily Prentiss, her haircut was pretty"

Karyn, or well, Eliana, nodded, bitting her lip before picking up the black hair dye.

"And my wardrobe?"

"We're getting rid of most of your button ups, I know that the pink one means a lot to you though, so you can keep it. But you'll most likely wear a lot of jeans, and you can have any type of shoes you want"

"Converse, black, old looking, beat up converse"

"Because of...him?"

She smiled softly at the mention of him, nodding.

"Yeah"

Lysandra nodded, pulling out a bag of things from her breifcase.

"You have an ID, and all other credintials you may need. There's also a phone, I would suggest dumping the other one or keeping it turned off at all times, okay? I'll be back with some wardrobe for you to choose from, okay?"

She nodded and looked at the hair dye, thinking.

"Can I pick my name?"

"We already have your credentials hon"

"I know, bu-but, uh, never mind"

Lysandra nodded.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't like this, I wanted to stay with him, you know that"

"You had a year with him K, I'm sorry you had to leave him, but there will be others"

"Not like him, no one will ever be like him"

"I'm sorry"

"Are you?"

Lysandra was taken aback.

"Yes, I am"

Karyn nodded, opening the box, pulling out the directions.

"Okay"

[two weeks in]

"Eli, what's up?"

Lysandra had started calling her by that name, in case she ever left voicemail.

"I, I can't do this anymore"

"Eli, what's wrong?"

"I-i'm...I know it's almost been three weeks and I don't know how I couldn't tell before, I'm freaking out Lys, I have no idea what I'm doing"

"What is it? Novak, tell me"

"I'm pregnant"

"We only have babies when we're young enough not to know how grim life turns out"
- Gregory Maguire