the dam

the dam

e i g h t e e n

Four months. Four months of him knowing he had a daughter. Three months of laughter, one month of going in and out of the hospital. He didn't understand how the world could be so cruel.

"We did everything we could"

"You're everything wasn't enough"

Karyn hadn't eaten or spoken since. She barely gets out of bed. Spencer had taken time off from work to take care of her, but today was a bad day.

"Go away"

"Karyn, please"

"I said go away Spencer, you remind me too much of her, now please, go away"

And that was when he returned to work. He recieved many sympathetic looks, but he didn't care.

"Why are you back so early?"

"Karyn wants some time alone"

Rossi sighed, shaking his head.

"Don't give her too much alone time, that never ends well"

He didn't see much of her for the rest of the week, but as Friday rolled around, Rae had managed to get her out and about in her home. 

Spencer arrived, setting his stuff on the couch as he walked into the kitchen where he heard the sound of voices. It wasn't uncommon for him to show up after work, but it was uncommon to find Karyn wanting to be around him. She practically dropped everything and wrapped her arms around him tightly, whispering about how much she loved him. 

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her tightly as the tears welled up in his eyes. He didn't get to be broken with her because someone needed to hold them together.

"Thank you"

The very soft whisper ghosted his ears and brought the tears down faster. It was like her voice had broke the dam, made it a reality for him. He didn't know what he was going to do, but he knew that if he had her, all would be well.

"Temporary, but excruciating, pain is the price of healing" 

- Vironika Tugaleva