Don't You Fret, Monsieur

"Gideon do a scan for any sign of time travelers!" Rip yelled the moment he ran into the ship.

"You mean..." Jehan huffed, "there are others?"

Jehan was out of breath from running all the way back to the ship.

"Scan completed." Gideon announced as the two entered the main control room. "No sign of any Time Master-"

"Is Savage nearby?!" Rip shouted.

"Who?!" Jehan asked utterly confused.

"No sir. No sign of anything except the device which you already destroyed in that library." Gideon reported.

Rip stood still. He looked at the ground unsure of what to do.

"Mr. Hunter?" Jehan tapped him on the shoulder and Rip jumped.

"What?" He snapped.

Jehan stepped back, surprised.

Rip then realized the way he had responded. He collapsed in a nearby chair and sighed. "I'm sorry, Jehan."

Jehan felt sorry for him. He knew that his family was dead and figured that whoever Savage was, he was after Rip. Jehan walked over to his chair where his tea still sat. He touched it and was surprised that it was still hot.

"Gideon kept it warm." Rip told him.

Jehan looked up and smiled. "Thank you, Gideon."

"No problem at all." She replied speedily.

They were quiet for a few short moments. Then Jehan decided to pull out his poem that he had been working on. He read over it once more, and decided that it sounded good enough.

He cleared his throat to get Rip's attention.

"I don't know what is plaguing you, but I wish to help." Jehan offered.

Rip shook his head. "It's okay. You can't do anything about it and neither can I."

"You asked me earlier what I was working on," Jehan stood up and held out his paper.

"What are you doing?" Rip inquired.

"I want you to have it, monsieur." He replied.

The tiniest hint of a grin appeared on Rip's face as he stood up. He took the paper from Jehan, but did something that Jehan wasn't expecting. He didn't look at it, but folded it in half. He sealed it and put it back in Jehan's hand.

"Mr. Hunter, what-"

"It's yours." Rip spoke. "I want you to finish this. Keep it as a reminder of this day."

Jehan didn't put the paper back in his jacket pocket. "I insist that you take it, sir."

Rip shook his head. "When you finish it, then you can give it to me. I want to see the finished product." He smirked, looking like the man that Jehan had first met.

"Alright." Jehan beamed. "I'll do my best to make this the very best one I have ever written. I picked up a lot of tips from the books I scanned."

Rip laughed.

"Sir, need I remind you that if he does not return, the event will change." Gideon spoiled the mood.

Rip's happiness faded. Jehan noticed this and tilted his head.

"What does she mean?" Jehan inquired.

Rip quickly tried to cover up his slip of emotions and hastened to the table in the middle of the room. "She was just saying that if you stay with me, then the battle would change."

Jehan followed him. "You mean, without me, the outcome will be different?"

"She's just saying that your absence will be noticed." Rip paused, then looked up with a smile on his face. "You want to go anywhere else?"

Jehan sighed. "Mr. Hunter, what is troubling you?"

"Nothing at all." Rip lied.

"It is fine if you don't want to tell me, but you have been acting strange since you met me. All it does is make me curious about why you are this way. I won't ask anymore if that is your wish, but if I need to go back, it is alright." Jehan assured him.

Rip couldn't stop his smile from leaving. He quickly looked the other way. "You don't want to see the future?"

"You have already shown me, sir." Jehan replied.

"America?"

"Mr. Hunter-"

"Another planet? Somewhere?"

Jehan placed a hand on his shoulder. "You have shown me more than I could ask for. I've already told you."

Rip turned around. "You really want to go back?"

Jehan grinned. "I believe that that is where I am needed."

"At least finish your tea." Rip pointed to the half empty cup.

"Of course I will. I don't like to waste things." Jehan beamed and sat back down in his chair. He took one final sip of his tea and it was gone. "I believe that this is the chapter closing."

It was all Rip could do from telling him his fate and doing anything he could to keep him safe. Instead, he took a deep breath and sat back in his chair at the front.

"Don't forget to hold on, Jehan." Rip advised as his chair rotated to face the front.

"Don't you fret, monsieur. I wouldn't forget that at all!" Jehan responded cheerfully.

Rip's hand hovered over the final lever. He knew what he had to do, but he did not want to do it at all.

"Mr. Hunter? Why aren't we moving?" Jehan inquired from behind him.

Rip shook his head to clear his thoughts and pulled the lever. Jehan exclaimed in surprise and excitement as the ship took off through the green vortex.

"Vive la France!" Jehan shouted as the ship sped on.

"Vive la France, indeed!" Rip yelled and the two laughed. Rip to keep a smile and Jehan because he was going home.