Adrienette: SU Gem AU

For @NotSoEvilMastermind

(This oneshot was very hard to write seeming as I had to blend two characters that were formally unrelated to one another. Jesus, please forgive me if it's horrible.)

There she stood, her silky blue dress swaying in the breeze, silent tears dripping down her face. Her dark blue hair framed her face nicely, hands clenched into fists by her sides, staring out from the hill and into the sunset.

She could almost smell the salt of the sea wafting past her on a soft wind.

She could just imagine the countless stars and planets that waited for her beyond the sunset, beyond the soupy orange horizon that locked her away from the galaxy beyond. She was desperate to climb over the hefty barrier of an atmosphere and just sit among the clouds, spending her days watching the stars, or maybe even visiting them.

But alas, that dream could've only been achieved if she was still a gem.

Which she wasn't.

Ever since a strange, strange dream she had, Lapis Lazuli noticed that the gem lodged in her back, the one of her namesake, was slowly dissolving. So, in a fit of fear that the other Crystal Gems would discard her or accuse her of some form of unlawful magic, Lapis had fled.

With the last of her strength her Lapis gem had held, she flew across the globe until she found the beautiful city of Paris. In no time at all Lapis had settled, getting acquainted with the locals, but she still terribly missed all her gem friends. Especially Peridot.

But no matter; in due time her gem had completely dissolved into her skin, and with it's disappearance, Lapis was popped out of existence. That is, until she mysteriously reformed, a new body. She now had pale skin and pink lips, a button nose, and her blue hair was tucked into pigtails. She grieved over the loss of her old life, but rather than staying bitter for the remainder of her life. She became a baker and a part-time artist, finally learning to discard her word 'meep-morp'.

Lapis was having a grande life, only now she had assumed the name of Marinette Dupain-Cheng.

So there Lapis was, sitting on the balcony of her apartment, sipping lightly on some hot chocolate she had made.

"It's nice out here, huh?" she asked, tossing her head to the skylight. "Right, Peri?"

A figure climbed out from the skylight, taking a seat next to Lapis, sighing softly.

She– or rather he, now –gave an emerald glance back towards Lapis, brow furrowed slightly. "Remember, Lapis, we're 'humans' now. We use our human names."

"Yeah yeah, I know, Adrien." Lapis sighed. "I just can't seem to break out of it. I want to be a gem again."

Peridot (or rather Adrien, now) wished for the same thing. (S)he had gone through the exact same experience, which started off with the strange dreams, and the slow dissovation of her gem. When (s)he had reformed like Lapis, however, she had molded herself (although unconsciously) into a human body of a boy. And even though it was strange, Peridot knew that, under the guise of a handsome boy labeled Adrien Agreste, (s)he pursued a life of mechanical engineering in Paris. It was there she had came across Lapis (under the name of Marinette), and the two had easily recognized each other, even with human forms.

Soon, they were living together, identities disclosed, life somber yet enjoyable.

Adrien cast his eyes down, sighing a bit, as he sat beside her. What he wouldn't give to be a gem again, to be surrounded by friends and family. And metal.

Marinette was all he really needed, however.

And that was good enough for him.

"Yeah," Adrien smiled slightly, pressing his forehead, where his gem used to be. "Me too."

And they sat there, the cool breeze brushing against their skin, the golden light of the sunset giving them it's last fleeting warmth.