Chapter 3

"Katara I'm begging you not to do this." Sokka's voice screams from behind me as I stomp through the snow towards the dock.

"You can't stop me, Sokka. If doing this means I get to protect my home, then I will do anything nessecary." I yell behind me. I readjust my pack on my back and continue to trudge forward.

Sokka runs, throwing up snow in his wake as he catches up to me, putting a hand on my shoulder forcing me to stop. "Please, Katara. We've always been successful in beating them before. We don't need you to leave in order for you to protect us. I know what dad said, but can do this on our own like we always have. Without those ruthless fire benders 'protection'."

I stand for a second angry, staring up into the face of my big brother. The one person who has always been there for me. The person who has always protected me no matter what. Sheltered me. Grew up with me. Seeing him now, breaks my heart. A tear falls down his tan skin. My eyes water up, and I put my hand on his cheek. "I'll be ok. I promise. I'm a Water Tribe woman after all. We're really stubborn and strong." I say my voice beginning to shake. More tears poor from his eyes as I put my gloved hand to his cheek, "I love you Sokka. You are the best big brother that any little girl could have ever asked for. You've always protected me and this tribe. It's my turn to do the same. For you and our people." I lean in a give him a quick kiss on the cheek. He looks away at the massive boat behind me.

I step back, hoisting my bag back into a comfortable position, and compose myself. "Don't tell anyone until they begin to question my absense. I don't want gran gran to know before I leave. She'll try to stop me and I'll never be able to tell her no." He nods and wipes the tears from his face, recovering his composed chieftain face.

"I Promise. I guess this is good bye, baby sister.." he says quickly embracing me. "Those men aren't going to wait there forever."

I nod at him, silently thanking him for everything, and turn towards the massive boat before me. I walk forward without looking back. I know that if I do, I might never leave.

I walk briskly to the iron ship. Trying to keep the tears from falling down my cheeks. The last thing I need is to look weak in front of the Fire Lords men. I refuse to give them a reason to laugh and ridicule me behind my back. I will be strong.

I arrive I'm front of the ship where I see guards stationed. "I assume you are the princess of the southern watertribe. Katara, is it?" The man on the right says from his metal helmet. "You assume correct." I state to the two men, my chin held high, trying to create and aura of power and prestige around me. They both nod to each other then the man on the left shouts up to someone I cannot see, "Open her up! The princess has arrived."

The giant metal door of the ship lowers to the icy floor. I take in a breath, breathing in what I assume will be my last breath of Southern Water Tribe air, before I board my metal prison.