Chapter 21

Katara's Pov

By the time I had felt the low rumble of the earth beneath the thick snow, it was too late. The village was reduced to rubble in the few seconds I had to get Gran Gran and my self out of our home. The ground was split in sections of earth, houses had collapsed in on themselves and it takes everything to keep my mind away from thinking about the ones that didn't feel the subtle changes within the earth, and are now trapped within their own homes.

"Zuko!" I scream, my voice cracking. I hold Gran Gran underneath my arm tightly as another shockwave of rumbling and moving earth hits us again. I scream his name again and again, the desperation in my voice unbearable. "Katara we need to get to the safe house." My Gran Gran says, pulling me out of my frantic search for Zuko. "I'll clear make a path, but I have to find him." I say looking my my old grandmother in the eyes. She smiles a bright smile, " I understand. Go to him." I nod to her, get in my bending stance and move the snow blocking the path to the underground safe house.

Seeing everyone I could safe on the path I turn my body looking for Zuko and run towards where the men stand in formations, my feet kicking up the fresh powder that had fallen last night. I find Noa first in my sprint, I swiftly dodge a flying piece of earth before diving and skidding in next to him. "Where's Zuko and Sokka?" I yell over the battle ensuing in front of us. He leans over his guard wall, strings and shoots an arrow and sends it flying to his target. "They are on the front lines, to the north west." He says, his voice stale and hard as he gives me the directions. I nod, pop the cork off of my water skin before running into the ensuing battle to find Zuko.

My clothes are ripped and my stomach is bleeding from a shallow cut by the time I reach Zuko. I run in and stand at his back, slicing an arrow in half that was heading for the back of his neck. My hair has fallen from its braid and now falls loosely to my hips in its thick loose waves. "Katara what do you think you're doing! It's dangerous!" He yells sending flames underneath a soldier causing him to sink into the cold snow. "That's why I'm here, you'll need me!" I yell at my tall Prince, feeling the overwhelming sting of my cut across my abdomen. I bend a wave of snow over a formation of Earth Kingdome troops, making the wave grow as I push it out into the ice water along with the earth Kingdom men.

An arrow slices through the air, I barley miss it as it grazes my hair causing my hair loop to slice in halve. I quickly retaliate at the bowman, "That was close!" I yell to the man flanking my right. That's when I heard the thud behind me.

"Prince Zuko!"