Epilogue

I exit my castle home through the grand doors that lead to the garden. Our lands have been rid of Bronwen for a week now and I don't know what happened to Thorn. The last time I saw him, something had been off. I hadn't let that bother me though, I had allowed myself to be happy for once this past week.

Walking through the rows of flowers and other pretty plants the royal gardeners grew, I was heading towards the royal cemetery. In my hands I held a small bouquet of three red roses for those I had lost. The first I place at William's grave, whispering my thanks as I always do when I visit him in his final resting place. Next, I walk to my parent's joint grave. I place the remaining two roses at their tombstone and look at the tree growing beside them. As it's a magical tree, it grows much, much faster than any ordinary tree. I grew it just over two weeks ago and it is already taller than me. I unbuckle the sheathed sword at my side form my belt. It's my father's sword, the one I took from Bronwen's dead hands. I had taken it then with the intention of returning with it and reuniting the blade with my father.

Kneeling down, I do just that. I rest it on the earth above where I know my father lies. Using my magic, I sink it into the ground until I know it rests with him. I smile to myself as I lean back, placing my hands in my lap. He must be pleased to have his sword back, even more pleased that Bronwen no longer obtains his special blade. That sword had always been my father's favourite. I remember him refusing to wield any other blade during training when he couldn't find it one day.

As I go to rise, I can feel magic coming from the tree. I get up quickly, frowning. The tree may be grown from magic but it shouldn't have any magical properties of its own. I go to approach it when the strangest thing occurs, a human figure tumbles out of it. I leap back in surprise as the creature gets to his feet. Once I see the pointy ears, I realise that it's an elf. It makes sense that he came from the tree, the elves use them as portals to travel about. The elf turns to face me and bows quickly before rising once more.

'Your Majesty,' he says, sounding hurried. 'I come with terrible news!'

I tilt my head to the side. 'What is it?' I ask, a little worried. What has happened?

'We were attacked! A dark figure came and began to destroy the forest, killing or kidnapping us elves as they did,' he cries. 'Queen Alethea, she was taken too but not without first telling me to come find you and ask for your help. You need to save us, Your Majesty!'

'What can I do?' I ask him.

'You saved everyone from Queen Bronwen,' he replies. 'Surely you can save the elves and stop this new threat, too. They need to be defeated before they can do anymore damage or take of the other kingdoms again!'

I bite my bottom lip. Defeating Bronwen was done by chance and it hadn't been at all easy. I knew nothing of this new threat the elf spoke of, so how was I meant to defeat it? But I had to try, for Alethea and her people. They were part of the reason I had destroyed Bronwen and I hadn't yet the opportunity to repay them. This was the way I could but I couldn't help wishing that there was an easier way. 'Is there anything else?'

The elf nods. 'You could take me to Alexander,' he says. 'I need to deliver the news to him, too.'

I shake my head. 'I'm afraid he's not here,' I reply.

He frowns, clearly confused. 'Then where is he?'

I shrug, feeling a little confused too. 'He left weeks ago, about two to be exact. I don't know where he is,' I say.

He shakes his head, still frowning. 'No, he has to be here,' he mutters to himself. 'He has to be.'

'Why is it so important that he's here?' I ask him.

Looking up at me, the elf has a worried expression upon his face. 'Because,' he says slowly. 'He never returned to us. The day Alexander found out you had been crowned Queen, he left to come here but didn't come back. No one has seen him since, Your Majesty.'

He wasn't here, he hadn't been with the elves and no one had heard from him in weeks. Alexander is missing, had been for two weeks now but I hadn't known. 'I-I'm sorry but none of us have seen him either,' I tell him.

He blinks. 'He's gone. Xander is lost!' He cries.

From the use of that nickname, I can tell that this elf was close to Alexander. I feel terrible. I sent him away but somewhere along his journey back to the elves, something happened to him and now he's missing. It's all my fault. I was the last known person to see him, too. As I think about all of this, a single question forms in my mind. I know it is one that will haunt me until he is found.

Where in the world is Alexander?