CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12: THE NEXT DAY

Brandon helped Callie to the car. Stef and Lena were already there, ready to drive Callie to the doctor.

"I'm scared, Brandon," Callie whispered as they drove.

"I know, but it's going to be ok," he assured.

"How do you know?" She whispered.

"I don't but think positive," he interlocked their fingers so the moms couldn't see… or so he thought.

"We're here," Stef said trying the car off and getting out.

Everyone got out of the car and walked inside. They signed Callie in and sat down in the waiting room. After a couple minutes Callie's name was called and a nurse came to take them to the exam room, "um… I'm sorry but only one person can come in with her. Are you the father?"

"Uh… uh no," Brandon stuttered.

"Can he come with me though?" Callie begged.

"Sure honey," the nurse led them to the room.

They waited a minute until the technician came in, "ok let's take a look."

She turned on the machine and put a cool gel on Callie's stomached. She moved the device around for a minute, then a look of confusion and worry creased her face, "um I'll be back."

When she retired a doctor followed, "hello, Callie. Let's take a look."

She looked for a minute then a solemn look flashed across her face, "Callie I'm sorry but… your baby's gone. Are you sure you were ever pregnant?”

Callie started to cry. Brandon sat next to her in her little hospital bed and put his arm around her.

“WHAT TYPE OF QUESTION IS THAT? SHE WAS IN THE ER YESTURDAY AND THEY CONFIRMED IT” Brandon shout-whispered.

“What injuries did she sustain?” The doctor questions

“Bruised ribs and side” Brandon answers while looking at Callie. “Oh my god, her dream”

“What dream?”

“She woke up after a nightmare of being kicked and having a forced miscarriage.”

With the word miscarriage Callie began sobbing harder than ever.

“I am going to get your moms” the doctor said

“Thanks” Brandon replied

Lena, Stef, and the doctor came back a few minutes later

“Callie why are you crying? Pregnancy is a great thing.” Stef asked

“That’s what I need to discuss with you. It appears that Callie was never pregnant.” The doctor stated

“What?” Lena and Stef said together

“There is no sign of a baby.”

“The doctor yesterday said that the blood test said positive? Blood tests don’t lie” Lena said looking puzzled

“Maybe the doctor read it wrong maybe they mixed up the blood samples”

“Guy’s as nice as this is I’m taking Callie to the outdoor garden while you guys figure this out.”

Brandon took Callie out of the room and to the garden.

“Do you think you can retest?” Lena asked

“Sure” the doctor replied

“I will get Callie.” Lena said walking out the door.

5 minutes later Callie, Brandon, and Lena entered the room

“OK everyone out and this time I mean everyone. I am doing a vaginal check.”

“Wait what?” Stef said rather surprised

“I am doing a vaginal check, sticking a camera in the whole shebang.”

“Callie Brandon step outside please.” Lena said in a tone they have never heard before so they ran out the door. Once Callie and Brandon left Lena started to speak.

“You obviously don’t know this girl, She was raped 3 times and you being a woman doesn’t help either.” She shout-whispered in a tone that Stef has never heard before

“I’m sorry do you want a different doctor?”

“NO. We want a normal check with Brandon in the room” Lena said

“OK fine.” The doctor replied

“BRANDON CALLIE COME BACK IN PLEASE!” Lena said

“Callie, Brandon is going to stay with you while your doctor does an EXTURNAL check.” Stef said

“OK.” Callie replied

Stef and Lena left the room

“Callie please lay down again and lift up your shirt.” The doctor said

Callie laid down and pulled her shirt up.

“Look! I missed something earlier. Let’s look for a heartbeat.”

Brandon looked at Callie and saw a smile and a twinkle in her eye

“Um…”

Brandon shook himself. He had gotten lost in Callie’s eyes

“Um. What?” Brandon said looking confused

“She was pregnant but has had a miscarriage.”

Callie broke down crying.

“I will give you a minuet.”

“Thanks.”

The doctor left the room and went to get Stef and Lena.

“Callie are you ok?”

Callie just shook her head and started to cry again. Brandon sat next to her and put his arm around her and let her cry.

“Oh Callie I am so sorry!” Lena said as she and Stef walked in with the doctor again

“Callie you will need to have a small procedure to take care of everything. We can do it in one hour.” The doctor said then you will need to be here over night for observation. One person can stay with you all the time. Who do you want that to be?”

“Sorry Stef and Lena But I kind of want Brandon here” Callie answers.

“That’s ok sweets, Brandon call us tomorrow when she can leave.”

“Will do, Bye!” Brandon replied

“BYE!” Stef and Lena said at the same time.