2: Off to Town

"Pip, get up!"

"Pip! Come on get up!"

"Leave me alone James. Can't you see I'm trying to get some sleep?" I said quietly. It was the next morning. Somehow our maid Lacy was able to get me to my bed after seeing me pass out in front of the fire.

"Don't make me get the water bucket!" James said pushing me off my matt

*Thump*

I stayed very still. No way was I going to give up on annoying James. He didn't have the guts to pour the water bucket I knew. So I decided to play my next best card.. Silent treatment.

"Really? You're not going to even acknowledge the fact that I have the water bucket right by my side here ready to fling it on you Pip?" James exclaimed.

Silence

I kept quiet with my back to James. He didn't really have the bucket with him. He was just trying to get me to look at him. But I was not going to do that. I was not going to let him win this game.

"I'm going to count to 3, Pip. So you better get up." James warned.

I stayed still.

1

Nope he isn't going to win.

2

He doesn't have the water bucket with him.. no no he wouldn't dare get me wet .. would he?

3

*Splash*

"JAMES, YOU'RE DEAD!" I yelled, wiping back the blankets and standing up in a matter of moments.

James sprinted out of the room as fast as he could yelling "I didn't do it, I didn't do it! Don't listen to her!"

I was soaked in cold water from the water bucket and the temperature of the house did not help me get warmer. But I didn't care. All I cared about was making sure James got a black and blue mark somewhere on his face. I ran down the stairs of the little cottage my family owned and ran into the kitchen were Maria, the house cook was cooking todays breakfast.

"Well look who's up!" She said kindly, turning to face me from where she stood by the stove. 

"Where did he go?" I asked; only one thing on my mind. James.

"In the living room child," she said with a chuckle before returning to clean up the stove.

I took off full sprint into the living room only to find both Papa and Dan sitting there in a deep discussion that only I in a blue nightgown that was half soaked in cold water could interrupt.

"Well hello there Alex. What do you seem to be up to this late in the morning?" Papa asked with a grin on his face. He knew.

"Where's James?" I demanded.

"Let me guess, James woke you up with the old water wakeup call?" Dan guessed while smirking.

"Yes, now are you going to tell me or do I have to go search for him somewhere else?" I said tapping my foot.

"You can beat him up later Alex. Right now you must go upstairs and put on your town clothes on. We are going to be heading to town today." Papa informed me, to my upmost horror.

"We are going to town?" I said with a look of disgust on my face. Dan scoffed and turned back to his coffee, smirking still.

I hated town. Out of all the places except for school, town was the place I hated to go to the most. It was full of all these rich kids who always looked down on us like we were a bunch of street mice and the girls my age there would have their fancy dresses on and would always walk as fast as their pretty little shoes can carry them away from me if they ever saw me glaring their way. But the worst part about town was the fact that Papa would force me to wear my town clothes which consisted of a pretty dress and tights that were itchy and shoes that pinched my feet. And of course Papa would make me have the maid, Lacy, help me get ready so that when we do go to town he could show me off the town folks saying: See, look I am not all crazy, I still am raising my daughter to be a proper lady.