{9}

Kayla now sat at the table eating some of the bacon that Damon had made for breakfast. Damon and Matt stared apprehensively at the new witch as she ate.

"Why didn't you tell me you were engaged?!" Brooklyn squealed. After their joyful reunion, Brooklyn noticed the diamond ring on her left hand. They hadn't stopped talking about it since.

"It happened last night. And you know I would've called you but I was a bit preoccupied." Kayla winked. Brooklyn giggled.

"Then I got a call from Nik. I thought he was going to ask me to come to New Orleans to do something with the hybrids. But then he told me it was you he was working for, and I gladly got in my car and drove here. I might have used a spell or two to get here as fast as I could."

"You just said Nik was working for me!" Brooklyn and Kayla laughed at the thought of Niklaus Mikaelson at the mercy of anyone. Damon chuckled a little bit at the thought.

"Now, I'm assuming that this girl..."

"Elena," Damon offered a little coldly.

"Now I'm assuming that Elena... she lived here?" Kayla asked.

"For the most part." Damon said.

"She kinda lived here. There was a dorm room at Whitmore," Damon explained.

"But I'm sure if she had a spirit, it wouldn't be at the dorm room at Whitmore terrorizing a bunch of drunk party-going girls, now would it?" Kayla gave a knowing look.

"Probably not." Damon gave a small smile.

"Nik told me she was tied to another witch. Is that correct?"

"Yes. But that witch is losing her power. Slowly, but surely." Damon said. "The witch who cast the spell said that if we used any magic, that both of them would die."

"How long have you been a part of the supernatural world, Mr. Salvatore?" Kayla asked.

"I lost count after one hundred and twenty-one years." Damon said.

"Then surely you have had a chance to learn the golden rule of the grimoires." She smiled.

"And what would that be?" Damon said, narrowing his eyes.

"That there's always a loophole to every spell. You see, witches are of the very few species on this earth that think ahead. We know that one day, we might change our minds. We might decide to turn a prince into a frog, and that spell can 'only be broken by true loves first kiss.'" She explained. "But, a few hours, days, months, or sometimes even years down the road, we might decide that we were just in a bad mood that day and acted rashly. So we needed a way to undo our spells. All spells are like this. All of the aspects of every single spell ever made, have loopholes my friend."

"So you're saying that there has been a loophole this whole time?" Matt chimed in.

"Not exactly." Kayla said. Matt and Damon furrowed their brows and looked worried.

"Damon, remember how I told you how Kai erased the loophole spells from the grimoires?" Brooklyn asked.

"Yeah." Damon shrugged.

"Well, we hadn't found that loophole till recently." Kayla offered.

"Nik was trying to untie two lives recently. It should have been relatively easy. We knew which grimoire it was in, we knew where the grimoire was- but when we went to find it, there was nothing there. Nik swore up and down that it was in that grimoire and on that page. We took it to one of the witches in New Orleans- she said that it was under an odd kind of cloaking spell. Then the dying clause came to play. Apparently, you can break it as long as Bonnie or another Bennett tries to break the spell. But just to be safe, as soon as we uncloak the spells, we can perform another spell that will keep either of them from dying." Brooklyn explained.