||15||

Brooklyn placed the food on the dining room table almost as soon as it came out of the oven. She was glad she'd had the foresight to make a lot of food.

"Everything looks so delicious, Brooklyn." Valerie commented as she took her seat. It was the first thing she had said all evening.

"Thank you, Valerie." Brooklyn replied graciously. "Everyone, if you don't mind, I would like to wait for Nik and Caroline."

"Of course." Ric nodded.

Reyna sighed and Matt's shoulders slumped. Damon sat back in his chair, Stefan winced, and Valerie placed a comforting hand on Stefan's arm.

+++

Caroline sat on the bench outside the Salvatore house. Tears streamed down her face, making her thankful that she'd worn waterproof mascara.

"Caroline." Klaus's unmistakable voice called to her like a light in the darkness.

He sat next to her and placed a hand on her back. He rubbed in circles, trying in any way to soothe his love. Her head landed on his chest in an unexpected motion.

"You lied to me. You promised." She sobbed.

"I know." He said regretfully. "You can believe whatever you want to believe about what I am about to say. I know I've lied to you before, and you think I would lie to you again. But all of it is the truth." Klaus said, pulling her back so he could look her in the eyes.

"Brooklyn called me a few days ago, calling in a long overdue favor. She'd found a way to wake up Elena without your witch dying, and she needed my help. When she explained that she had to be in Mystic Falls, I said no." Klaus shrugged. "I knew I'd made that promise to you. I wasn't going to break it. But then I couldn't stop thinking about it. I knew you'd think I was back to try to win your hand- to impress you. But then I realized, you need  Elena. To deny this request of Brooklyn's would be to reject someone you need, Caroline. I love you enough to help get Elena back, and leave. Without talking to you. Without touching you. Without seeing you."

Caroline sat completely still, mulling over all that Klaus had said. "I'm not ready, Klaus. I'm not saying no. I'm saying... later."

"Understandable." Klaus shrugged. He kissed her forehead lovingly. "And when you're ready, I will be wherever you want me to be. I will be whoever you want me to be. I am the king of vampires and werewolves. You are my queen, love." Klaus smiled.

"Thank you." Caroline sniffled.

"You're welcome, love." Klaus comforted. "How does dinner sound?" Klaus asked.

"Wonderful, thank you." Caroline smiled.

Klaus held his hand out to Caroline, who took it without hesitation. They walked back to the house in silence.

+++

Caroline and Nik finally entered the house, hand in hand, with sober looks on their faces. As the door shut, and they came into view, all conversation stopped.

"Are you alright, Care?" Alaric asked, worriedly.

"Yes. I'm fine. Just hormones." Caroline smiled genuinely.

"I bet you can't wait to get them out and meet them! Who's the father?" Reyna asked curiously.

"Klaus." Caroline said.

"Me." Stefan responded at the same time.

"Alaric." Nik said at the same time as Ric and Stefan.

Brooklyn mentally face palmed. Tension between the people in the room climbed as fast as Brooklyn had ever witnessed in her life.

"Whoo! Looks like someone knows how to play the field!" Reyna responded.