{|14|}

Brooklyn got dressed in record time. She knew she didn't have time to do her hair, so she did it in an elaborate up-do that fit the occasion. It was the least amount of time she had ever spent on getting ready for any kind of party, but as she examined herself in the mirror, she had to admit that she didn't look like she just threw her look together.

 It was the least amount of time she had ever spent on getting ready for any kind of party, but as she examined herself in the mirror, she had to admit that she didn't look like she just threw her look together

She quickly did her makeup, grabbed shoes and jewelry, and made her way back downstairs. Kayla was now sitting on the couch next to Alaric, and they were discussing some sort of junk about magic and history.

"That was quick." Caroline said as she heard Brooklyn enter the kitchen. She turned around to see Brooklyn, and stopped. "You look so beautiful! How did you do that in fifteen minutes?!" Caroline exclaimed in wonder.

"Perks of being alive for over one hundred and fifty years." Brooklyn shrugged as she put a clean, nice apron on.

"I feel under-dressed now." Caroline giggled.

"You look beautiful, love." Klaus interrupted as he leaned against the door jamb. Brooklyn smiled at him in encouragement before turning around to focus on finishing food.

"Ah. My two favorite girls in a kitchen. A sight I never thought I would see." Klaus chuckled.

"What about Bekah?" Brooklyn asked.

"She's my sister. She doesn't count." Klaus shrugged. Brooklyn laughed, and Caroline quirked a smile.

"Guess who's home?!" Stefan called as he opened the door.

Caroline gasped, and struggled with her grip on the bowl she was holding. They could hear everyone greet the pair enthusiastically.

"There's someone in the kitchen who'd probably like to see you." Damon suggested.

Stefan appeared in the doorway, and Brooklyn smiled at him. "Hi." She said cheerfully.

Stefan enveloped her in a hug. "I'm so happy to see you." Stefan whispered.

"I'm glad to see you too." Brooklyn replied. As soon as she stepped out of the hug, tension filled the air. Stefan looked around to the occupants of the kitchen. Brooklyn cleared her throat.

"Well, if you're here, you're going to be a part of our dinner party. You and Valerie go wash up." Brooklyn commanded.

Stefan hesitantly stepped out of the kitchen, he was eying Caroline and Klaus warily- and with a bit of jealousy.

When Stefan was out of sight, Caroline let out the breath she was holding, Brooklyn snorted, and Klaus fought to keep a smile off of his face.Caroline sighed and went back to cutting up some vegetable.

"Caroline, if you need a moment, you can go. It's okay." Brooklyn offered.

Caroline shook her head. "No I'm fine." She said absentmindedly and coldly.

"Okay." Brooklyn shrugged. "If you're-"

"You know, what right does he have to come in here and look at me like that?" Caroline scoffed angrily. "He's expressed- rather coldly, might I add, that he doesn't care anymore. It's none of his business anymore! Right?"

"Love-"

"You know, I was ready to make it work. I was all by myself, pregnant, and he was with a girl, an ex-girlfriend, and I trusted him. I did. And he ends it... he decided it was time... but... I think I'll take you up on that offer." Caroline slammed the knife on the counter and turned to Brooklyn and Klaus.

"Sure. Go ahead. We'll be fine here." Brooklyn smiled softly at her. Caroline sniffed and walked out of the room stiffly.

Nik started after her. "Nik, I would give her a few minutes." Brooklyn stopped him. "She needs a few minutes to compose herself before she'll be okay with anyone seeing her." Brooklyn explained.

"What did she tell you earlier? About me?" Nik asked curiously. Sounds of Caroline's sobbing reached his ears, making his heart shatter.

"You know you're one of my best friends, and I would tell you anything? But you know I can't tell you about girl talk." Brooklyn smiled. "But I can tell you that whether or not she knows it or not, she needs you here." Brooklyn encouraged. "You may just need to go slower than anticipated. She may need you as a friend for a while. I'm warning you."

"All these years, and I never stopped loving her. My heart is breaking at the sound of her sobs. I can't imagine what this is like for her." Nik confessed.

"She just needs to know that you're there for her."

"I can't take this anymore." Nik spat out and went after Caroline.

Brooklyn barely held in her smile as she heard Nik call after Caroline. There was a knock on the door and Brooklyn rushed to answer it.

 "Hello!" She sang when she realized it was Matt and Reyna. She barely notice Reyna roll her eyes. Matt smiled sheepishly.

 "Well. Someone's cheery tonight." Reyna remarked nastily. Brooklyn faked a smile.

 "Of course. I'm so glad that you get to come! Come in! Come in!" Brooklyn exclaimed. "Dinner will be ready shortly. I would have had it done earlier, but it has been so crazy around here." Brooklyn apologized.

 "Matt, we don't have to stay very long, do we?" Reyna whispered. At least she was trying to be decent. 

 "These are my friends, Reyna. And Brooklyn worked really hard on this meal. We're staying." Matt said firmly.

 "Matthew Donovan, you drug me away from a very important chase to come play small town girlfriend with a bunch of high-school hometown rejects!" She whispered harshly.

 It took all Brooklyn had not to turn around and snap Reyna's neck. Tonight would definitely be interesting. Brooklyn stomped into the kitchen, where she caught Damon trying to sneak some food.

 "I'm so mad that I'm not even going to comment on what I just caught you doing." Brooklyn hissed, pulling chicken out of the oven and carving it with a vengeance.

 "Reyna getting to you already?" Damon asked.

 "How does she get someone as sweet as Matt to ask her to marry him?" She said in a disgusted tone.

 "It's a great sales tactic- bait and switch." Damon remarked sarcastically. 

 "This night is going to be interesting." Brooklyn muttered.