Chapter Fifty| For Years To Come

Mary Kate

As the season goes along I get more comfortable as a NHL player and start to find my game. I can tell some guys don't exactly enjoy the idea of me being out there but that just drives me more. And as much as I loved playing, because really I love it, I miss seeing Patrick play more. He's happy for me, but I can tell it's killing him not to play. "When I come back are you staying on the team" he asks and I shrug. "That's not up to me. I'm just taking it game by game" I admit. "If I don't get to play with you I'm going to be pissed" he says and I laugh. "I play hockey with you all the time" I remind him. "Yeah, but I want to see what a opponent would do when both of us are coming down the ice full speed looking for opportunities to create" he says with a evil grin. "I think that would be fun" I admit. About that time my phone goes off and it's a text from Stan saying he wanted to meet with me. I collect my stuff and tell the boys I would be right back.

I meet Stan in his office and I wasn't sure what to expect. "Don't worry Ms. Fletcher, you're not it trouble. It's actually a exciting meeting in my opinion" he says and I let out a breath. "Alright then, what can I do you for" I wonder. "We want to extend you" he states simply. "Like as a assistant" I ask. "No... as a player. We signed you to a $800,000 dollar one year entry level deal so you would be eligible to play with us but it's obvious you are someone we could use on the team. You think like a assistant coach but play like the elite. We would love to help you grow as a player" he says and I sit to think about what he just said. "Why me" I ask. I mean there were so many young and talented kids out there, in the farm system even. They've been talking to the kid from Russia who has superstar written all over him. "We're going to lose some big players this year, core guys with a lot of talent. But we believe you can be the difference maker that can help make us stay competitive" he explains. "If I take this, what's the catch" I ask. It all seemed too good to be true. "No catch, when Pat comes back you stay on the roster and you are available to play in the post season. If you're unhappy you can always go back to coaching" he assures me. "Well in that case I don't see any reason why I shouldn't do it" I say. "That's what we were hoping you'd say. We have you for six years at five million a year" he says laying the papers in front of me. I stare at them and think about everything that could go wrong because it's what I do. What if something happens to me, or worse Jon? Then what? What if these games were just all one hit wonders and I wasn't cut out for the NHL. What if I get traded, I couldn't leave here. Not after everything I invested into this place. But after those thoughts came the good questions. What if this is my chance to get my name into the Stanley cup? What if I'm the first of many girls who will play hockey in this league? What if my dad was right, dreams really do work when you do? I pick up the pen and sign on the line. I pass the papers back to stan before I had a chance to change my mind. "Happy to have you on this team for the foreseeable future Ms. Fletcher. Glad you're a Blackhawk" he smiles and I shake his hand. "Pleasure doing business with you" I reply. This was the start of something new.

On my way home I decide to head to the Fletcher Family Foundation offices where we've been set up so far this year. It was a little place downtown for people to talk to someone when needed, there was a rehab center for people who want to do more physical therapy to come back stronger. There was a place to watch game tape and learn new things along side some experts. It was basically a place for the injured to hang and regroup so they can get back to doing what they love. I walk in and say hi to the people working there, they were kind and loved helping people out, my kind of people. A lot of the players here were professional or college athletes but we had some high schoolers in here too. It's free so then whoever needs help can find it here. "Hello Ms. Fletcher, there's someone who requested to talk to you specifically" the receptionist says and I raise my eyebrow. "I wasn't supposed to be in today, how is that possible" I ask. "He says he's a close friend and insisted that you would be here. He's in your office" she tells me and I thank her. I walk into see a blonde kid playing with a picture on my desk. "Don't you ever get tired of me" I ask as he looks up to me. "Of course not, Jonny yes. But you? Never" Patrick chirps and I sit in my desk across from him. "How may I help you" I ask folding my fingers together and placing them on the desk. "How did you do it" he asks and I become very confused. "Do what" I wonder. "Come back from such a injury. I mean I'm out 8-12 weeks but really want to be back by playoffs... they keep telling me no and it's getting frustrating. So how did you do it" he asks again. "Because no doesn't mean stop, it means to find another way to say yes" I say and he perks up. "I'm listening" he says. "When people tell you no it doesn't mean you can't do it, it means you can't do it with them. When you win the Stanley cup in 2010 and 2013 it wasn't with a bunch of guys who said no all the time. You have a team of a bunch of driven and passionate guys who had the same goal that you did. The same goes with an injury. Find people who want to make you better, has the same goals you do. Doctors who know that you're not average therefore you could be back sooner than most people. In order to be the best you have to surround yourself with the best. I had a great team who knew how I was, that I didn't want to be paralyzed or be handed things. They made me work for it and I can honestly say that they're the reason I'm here today" I say and he nods. "Do you think I could train here" he asks and I smile. "Of course Patrick, this place is always open to you, you can talk to any of the doctors or use the machines, whatever your heart desires" I tell him. "Thanks so much Mary Kate, you're the best" he says getting up and moving around my desk to hug me. "Of course Patrick. We need you back out there on the ice" I say and he looks at me weirdly. "We" he asks and I grin. "I'll tell you when we get home, lets go" I say pulling him out of the office.

I get home and find Jonny watching game tape. He always did that by himself and with both of us out of the house that was probably the quietest it's been since I moved in. "Hey Jonny, can you come in the kitchen please" I yell. "If Patrick is doing that creepy belly button thing again once was more than enough" he yells back and I roll my eyes. "No belly buttons, I have some news" I say vaguely so he would come in. "What's up" he asks going into the fridge and taking out a water. "I went to talk to Stan" I start off to grab their attention. "And..." Patrick trials off. "And I'm signed with the Hawks through the 2020-2021 season" I say and Jonny nearly spits out the water. "Please tell me you aren't lying" Patrick says grabbing my shoulders. "Nope, I'm on the team for sure now" I smile and he pulls me into a hug. "I'm so proud of you, I can't wait to play with you" he says letting me go. "I'm gonna go tell Vanessa" he announces before grabbing his phone and darting into his room. He just wanted a excuse to call her, I'm happy I gave him one. "I turn to Jonny who was studying me hard and causing me to blush. "Why are you looking at me like that" I ask adjusting my hair. "Because I want to remember this moment. Like all the moments I share with you this one is special" he says moving closer to me. "I'm pretty excited" I admit as he puts his hands on my waist. "I can't wait to win the cup with you" he says moving me closer. "Oh, someone's getting cocky" I giggle. "Never cocky, sometimes confident" he replies to me much like I said to him the day he asked me out. "Well played Mr. Toews" I smile wrapping my arms around his neck. "Anything for you Ms. Fletcher" he counters hovering his lips over mine. "That future Mrs. Toews to you" I joke and I feel him smile. He puts his lips on mine and I let myself take in the moment. I pinpoint this moment in my life not because it wasn't super special, but it was a good representation of how good life can be even without a major event happening. Being with the one I love and no worries, it was bliss to feel his lips on mine. They tasted sweeter and he shined brighter. Love makes even the simplest things something to behold and I was happy to experience this with Jon. "I'm proud of you" he reminds me as he rests his forehead on mine.