Epilogue

Mary Kate

Dream, noun. Something notable for its beauty, excellence, or enjoyable quality. A strong desire or purpose. Something that fully satisfies a wish. To many different people dreaming means many different things. When I woke up from that car crash I lost my ability to dream because my life quickly became a nightmare. Everything I lived for had died in that crash. My family, my hockey future, any sense of normality. It was gone and I was left in the hospital unable to move and with so many questions. Questions that I could wait 100 years for answers, but I will never get them. Most of the important questions are like that though.

One night the doctor left the TV on and a hockey game comes on. At the time I hated everything for taking my ability to play and wanted to turn it off but I couldn't turn the tv off myself, I couldn't move yet. I was just twenty, had such a bright future and now I would be lucky to even walk again. I watch the screen as a kid skates down the ice untouched. The defenders were helpless as he flies past them and fires the puck top shelf. That kid was Patrick Kane. The kid who jumps on top of him celebrating, that's Jonathan Toews. They don't know it but in a few months they're going to be lifting the Stanley cup together for the first time. I watch the rest of the game and could still hear my dad in my head. He was telling me how to evaluate the game and what was going to happen next. It's like I was back at home with my family and my dad was right beside me trying push me. As they score again I look down and notice my finger was moving. I was moving. I look back to the tv as the Hawks celebrated a win and congratulate Niemi at the other end. That's when I remember what my dad always told me. Dreams don't work unless I do, so I did.

Time jump to the day I met Jonathan. When he walked in I was reading all my notes I had from school. I studied to be a sports management major but was asked to work on this case because of my hockey background. I didn't follow the NHL players excessively. I knew who most of the guys were and their accomplishments but my focus was to help them to get back in the ice. From the moment I heard Jonathan's voice, everything changed. His voice was like my dads where it was caring and smooth but it had a hint of competitiveness in it and I was hooked. Talking to him was the closest I came to being happy in such a long time. I had all but given up my dreams and decided helping others achieve them would have to do. But he knew better. He brought out the parts of me that I had suppressed, the parts of me begging to get out. In a short amount of time Jonathan had gotten me back into hockey and back on the ice. The gold medal, the championship, that's chump changed compared to how he makes me feel. Love is mysterious and unpredictable, but it's a beautiful thing when you let it be. I was so against to getting attached to something because I didn't want to feel the pain of it being ripped from me again. But sometimes we have to jump and hope someone catches us. Luckily I fit perfectly in Jonathan's arms and we both could chase our dreams together.

After we got married we vacationed in Hawaii for a few weeks before going to Germany. Chicago is home now, but curiosity still leads the way more times than not. Germany was beautiful and I loved their culture and food there. We lost a lot of players from that team over the summer. Steeger, Saad, but Sharp was the hardest to lose, especially since we weren't there to say bye. In return we got a Russian duo that proved to be just fine. Artem is one of my favorite players, he plays a quiet game and does all the dirty work. As a center he is reliable and crafty, much like Jonny. He is under appreciated but we all know how good he is and that's enough. Artemi is a little bundle of joy, the kid hasn't stopped smiling since he got here. That's Patrick's new buddy and they're awesome to watch but even more fun to play with. After the 2015 season we continue to incorporate guys in and out while staying competitive. But this core is the best out there so that came to no surprise.

Jonny and I win two more cups with the Hawks before retiring. We're ready to start a family and wanted to be there to raise the kid or kids or whatever life has planned for us. He still coaches around here and tried to help the new captain but what he did can't be duplicated or replicated. His leadership was one of a kind and will forever be written in the history books. Jonny could be like Hossa and play until forever, but there's really only one Hossa. Patrick and Vanessa got married and are already expecting a kid. Vanessa works at the united center planning events and fun stuff for the Hawks while Patrick attempts to teach his skills, never does work. She loves it there and I love having my best friend back in my life. Patrick and I remain good friends, he was a brother to me after all. He might not have the best track record but I swear if they covered all the good things he's done half as much as the crap they make up or bring up he would be a American hero. And not just someone they love come international play.

Jonathan is a lot of things to me. A husband, a best friend, a line mate, but he's a fan too. His heart is big and his success is based off of how he makes the people around him. The best leaders lead by example and there not a day in his career where he would be out worked. There will never be another leader like him, not in hockey or any other sports. He loves this sport more than anyone and no one can argue with me on that. Everything he does, he does it because of hockey. Even in retirement he helps with the Hawks and inspires little kids around Chicago. They still want to grow up to be like Jonathan Toews. I'm lucky, for some crazy reason he chose me. I get to see first hand how amazing he truly is. And no matter what happens, good or bad, at the end of the night I fall asleep in his arms and I know he's got me.

And that leads us to now. October 12th 2023. Tonight's opening ceremony is the same day Pat and Jonny get their jerseys retired. Hossa's has been up there for a few years now and I can't wait to see theirs too. "Mommy when can I skate" Jessica asks me. Jessica was the name of my sister and also the name of our first born child. A feisty kind hearted little girl with brown eyes and brown hair. "Not for a while sweetie, there's a game tonight" I inform her and she nods. We still came to all the home games and most play off games when we could. Jessica was seven now and loved to play hockey with her brother. "Found him" Jon calls out as the little boy hangs from his arm. Little Adrian was a little too much like uncle Patrick, it was scary. He had my icy blue eyes and light brown hair.

We make our way down to the ice and I see three banners laying on the ice. "What's the third banner" I ask and Jon shrugs with Jessica holding his hand. I pick up Adrian and place him on my hip. He was four and already had a hockey vocabulary. I was so proud. We stand with Patrick and his family as they show videos. So many great memories and I was just blessed to be a part of them. The video ends and I fight back tears. They remove the black sheets and I see my name and number sitting in the middle. "Mommy play" Adrian says pointing to the banner. Jonny smiles and I knew in that second he knew what was going on. "Surprise" Patrick says and I too grow a smile. "Really" I ask and he nods. "Hell yeah. You were the first woman player and a damn good nhler. You deserve it" he says giving me a hug. We watch as our numbers raise to the raptors where they will remain. The numbers 19, 87, and 88 will never be worn by a Hawks player again. They've got to be running out of numbers here. The dynasty of the 2010's may be over but the legends will live on forever. There's new kids with the same dreams I once had. No matter how you define dreams, just know dreams are meant to become a reality. No matter how many times you hear no, no matter how many times you fail, remember dreams only work if you do. So keep calm, stay focused, and dream on.