Act I

Crow's Nest: (only as loud as necessary for those directly below him to hear) Land Ho. Island spotted 20 degrees starboard.

The men who hear him exchange prolonged looks of confusion. After more time than is really necessary to confirm that they all heard it too, they look up to the crow's nest to verify that someone was actually up there, and speaking to them. They stare at him with looks of curiosity mixed with awe. After a patient nod from the man in the crow's nest to them, followed, minutes later, by a nod in the general direction of the island, they glance at each other again, now mildly confused. After a moment, as one, they look in the direction of the island. Upon seeing the island some wander over to the rail, mesmerized by this unexpected turn of events. Others who see this unusual behavior ask what they are doing. Once told, they too stare, some others wander to the rail as well. Many give a brief "oh" or "hmm" and return to their duties, some linger slightly longer, but all return to their duties eventually. The word is thus spread with some pointing at the distant island, but minimal conversation. The captain emerges, curious, a few minutes after the news gets to him.

Captain: Land? Out here?

He spots the island immediately, and slowly walks over to the rail as he stares. He makes an uncharacteristically quick decision.

Captain: Well, I guess we should go have a look. (Slightly louder) Alter course. It looks about 23 degrees starboard.

The men bring the ship close to the island. After they anchor, the captain orders them to set up camp. The entire contents of the ship are first brought to the island. Nothing is unpacked or disturbed in any way until every item on the ship is precisely placed such that anything that is to be accessed in the construction of camp will be done as efficiently as possible, if not quickly. Unloading takes several sleepless days. Then, instead of tents, a small palace is constructed. The palace walls and ceiling are thin and light weight, made from a kit in much the same way a tent would be made, but on a far larger scale and with better aesthetics. No one gets tired or hurries. Everyone silently and patiently works day and night until the task is complete. Once finished, the crew begins to move tables, chairs, bookshelves, rugs, curtains, and other decorations into the palace. This narration follows a particular crate made of what could best be described as plastic. On the lid, hand-carved to resemble meticulous handwriting, are the words "Eternity Garden Number Two."

No one is interested in the aesthetics of this minor palace – it is simply where things go. Where this crate goes appears to be under a table in the corner of the room. On top of that table is another crate that says, in the same hand-carved writing, "Eternity Garden Number One". No kitchen or cooking supplies are brought, as they do not eat. The captain waits patiently until the last book is in place, and then begins to issue new orders.

Captain: (turning to man 1) Set up a scouting detail to map out this island, and to find a suitable location for an eternity garden.

Man 1: Yes, Captain.

Man 1 walks off to gather men and set them to task. The men in the palace are content to sit around, or stand, or be issued orders. It is all the same to them. They are not bored, simply content.

Captain: (after a somewhat long period of silence, turning to man 2) The ship should not fall to neglect. Organize the deckhands to ensure one man is aboard at all times for maintenance.

Man 2 walks off to organize the deckhands. A slow conversation takes place, stretching over the course of hours.

Man 6: I wonder why this place was on no maps.