Chapter 5

I woke up to the rain pitter-pattering on the car roof. The car was parked. Miss Lorensen sat in the drivers seat reading silently. She looked over at me.

"I see your awake!" she whispered loudly.

I sat up and yawned, stretching out my arms.

"How long have we been in the car?" I asked her.

"Oh about an hour or two," she told me, "But I don't mind it. You slept a very long time."

Just then I realized we must be at her house. I glared out the window to see a beautiful home. It was huge, almost like a mansion. There was a wrap around deck and a small porch on the second floor. 

We both got out of the car.

"You live alone?" I asked her. It would be a huge house for just one person.

"Oh pardon me! I forgot to tell you about two special guests staying here," she replied heading toward the house.

I followed her. It was a cold night and I was shivering. Miss Lorensen wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we walked to warm me up. We walked up the stairs to the deck. Suddenly I hear rustling chains and a loud growl. Then a huge beast jumped on me, knocking me over. I opened my eyes to a warm tongue licking my face. It was a dog! I started laughing.

"Brutus! You get off of her this instant!" Miss Lorensen commanded the dog.

Brutus listened and he immediately and got off of me, sitting down. I laughed again as Miss Lorensen helped me up. I pat Brutus on the head and he gave me another lick. He was a great dane definitely. He was tan with black ears and a black snout.

"Excuse Brutus! I am fostering him for a while. I hope you do not mind," Miss Lorensen said, "And where is that other rascal."

Just then a cat slipped out from Brutus' dog house and meowed. The brown tabby cat trotted toward me and curled up against my leg. I scratched her tiny head. Her collar read "Estelle".

"That's Estelle. My foster kitty," Miss Lorensen said as the cat purred. "Let's get inside! It's cold."

Miss Lorensen unlocked the door and her pets bolted in.

She gave me a tour of her whole house. I couldn't believe I would live here! There were five bathrooms, two living rooms, two dinning rooms, two huge bedrooms, one huge kitchen, and a room just for her two pets.

"This last room is the newest edition to the house. It's just for you," Miss Lorensen told me.

She opened a door to a huge room with a gigantic TV and couch. There were so many video games, books, and a computer! I gasped.

"I-It's really for me?" I asked her, astonished. 

"It's all yours!"