20: Lucifer; Devil In The Detail

Lucifer had been trapped in his Cage for longer than he would ever wish to remember. The Cage was his prison. His Father's worst creation. While he was well aware of how long passed on Earth, it did not matter. The time on Earth passed by so slow it was as though it never moved. Time trickled by slowly, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade, it kept moving and Lucifer was forced to remember each and every moment of it.

A single month of time on Earth was a thousand years for him. Over the millions of years in his prison he had memorized every corner of the damned Cage. Every inch from bottom to top. From to corner to corner. Every nook and cranny. Nothing ever changed. It all stayed the same.

Nothing ever changed.

In the beginning of his imprisonment he had been exhausted. He had gone willingly after he'd battled Michael and lost. What was his punished for? The answer was simple. He had been banished for loving what Father had given him. For doing as told. That single thing had destroyed him. Lilith had belonged to him. Him and no one else. Father had given her to him and it had been perfect. Everything had been perfect in Heaven. Everyone had been happy. Then Lilith had died.

.-~*~-.

On the first day of humanity, God had gathered the archangels and spoken to them. He had spoken as he rose the first of humanity from the soil, "Spread the word among Heaven. Debriel, you will teach this to each of your brothers," in the early days angels had not taken on the term of sister. They were brothers in arms. "These humans are yours, children. Each of you will have one. One Soul that is yours to love. Love it more than me, more than anything. They belong to you. Now and forever they are yours. However, you must remember this. Should your Soul ever die, you must allow them to move on. You have to allow them to travel to Heaven. They must move on. You must never return them to life. As long as you do this, you will have your Soul. It will be yours for all of eternity."

Lucifer had thought he had understood what his Father meant at the time. They had all accepted the orders and Debriel had spread the news among their brothers. In the long run, an order like that, it was setting them up for failure.

Popular belief and knowledge was incorrect. Most everyone believed Lucifer was the first Fallen. It was inaccurate. No one had understood Falling in that time so it had not been spread as the first Fall. An angel by the name of Ramiel had been the first to Fall. Ramiel had been the first being in existence to sin. Their Father had not explained this to any of them though his actions had set the line for what would cause a Seraph or lower to fall.

When Ramiel had Fallen it had been sudden and quick. Something that most of Heaven probably had never learned. Maybe it was best that he took all of the blame.

Ramiel had been angry. Angry about what? Lucifer was unsure. The events that had led to Ramiel's Fall had started in Heaven. Lucifer had left Adam to be with Lilith so he could spend some time with his younger siblings. Lucifer would always regret that choice. If he had done differently Lilith would not have died.

Lucifer had said something to the young angel. What? He could not remember. To this day he could not remember what words he had spoken. What words had destroyed Heaven? What thing had Lucifer spoken to his younger sibling that had broken Heaven apart?

When Ramiel had flown away Lucifer had attempted to follow the angel but he had been unable to keep up. Ramiel had been fast and when Ramiel had demanded to be alone Lucifer had obliged, choosing to give his sibling space. They would speak again later. Lucifer had left Ramiel and returned to Heaven's Garden to speak with Debriel before he returned to Earth. Before he returned to Lilith.

.-~*~-.

Sometimes Lucifer would stand in his Cage and stare out across Hell from inside the walls, watch things trickle by in the slowest possible way. Lucifer would draw his blade from within his Grace and stare at the beautiful piece given to him by his Father.