19: Stopping It At Any Cost

Gabriel and Sam were standing in a dreamscape, the candy shop that had begun feeling like home to him. It was wrong but he was beginning to long for these escapes from reality. Sam had started teaching him how to manipulate the dreams and lucid dreaming was fun when you knew how to manipulate the world around you. For him, it was like his own little chunk of reality and, despite his growing hatred for the god, he could understand why Loki made pocket universes so much.

Over the last two weeks Sam and him had revisited all of Gabriel's own memories of their encounters, during the night it was spent like that. Gabriel and him in his dreams. After they'd finished revisiting his memories, Sam had begun teaching him. It was difficult but the results were worth it. As it stood, they were running out of options on how to stop Lucifer from rising. Gabriel had tried bringing up that if they killed Lilith, the Seals would stop breaking. That idea had been shot down more than once by both angels. Sam had at least bothered to rationalize it with the idea that there were still angels working to start it.

Then there was Cas. About two days after Dean had gotten enough power from his followers he'd fixed the crater in the yard, which had been caused by Balthazar trying to slow the landing of the falling Archangel, he'd driven to Michigan. Balthazar hadn't shown his face though Sam had told him that he'd been around, just cloaked. Dean had explained to them that he'd helped Cas talk that chick, Meg, into understanding that Cas was not part of some child murdering cult or whatever the hell it was that the news had spread about them. -Which Gabriel was still surprised he'd managed not to get arrested for as he'd stupidly forgotten the entire mess Balthazar caused.- Cas had spent the last week there with her while researching Seals for them. At some point, Gabriel would meet her. But Cas had sounded content so he was letting his brother do his thing, which according to Cas had nothing to do with 'using his thing' as his brother kept putting it. Honestly though? What was the point of being with someone if you weren't even taking advantage of the fun parts of being with them?

"Gabriel?" He blinked out of his thoughts and realized the dream had been shimmering to a fantasy dream that he definitely had not had soon after meeting Sam. Quickly he focused on the memory of the candy shop before the figures in that dream could become clear. Grabbing a handful of gummy worms from the container and offering them to the angel, he threw on a casual grin as he looked over at Sam.

Seeing his angel was different now too. Gabriel had used his recollection of the wings that Loki had summoned up to taunt Dean as a basis for the design then demanded Sam give him a pallet to work with. Whenever in the dreamland, Gabriel got to see angel wings now. Sure, they probably weren't anywhere near as glorious as the actual things but seeing a physical manifestation of them was worth it. Unlike what he'd originally thought, Sam had explained they were more angular, sharper edged than a bird. Gabriel had, partially jokingly, placed plane wings on Sam's back which had earned him an annoyed scowl, before he'd perfected the more angular shape of an angel's wings. Next, had come the silvery blue coloring which had been really difficult for him to work with. He wasn't an artist, he was more of a coloring book kind of guy. Finally had come perfecting the feathers. Sam had explained that while the ones that were closer to his physical form were softer, the ones nearing the edge of his wings were sharper. According to him Debriel had once trained angels to use these sharp feathers in battle but it had been an ended practice before Sam was created. When Gabriel had confronted Dean about it he'd told him it had something to do with inconvenience in battle but had refused to elaborate. And so Sam had wings when they were in dream land, wings that went about six inches higher than his vessel, wings that Gabriel had resisted the urge to touch because it felt almost sinful to do. Seeing an angel's wings was one thing, touching them felt like a line to cross.

He shook himself out of his thoughts and waved the gummy worms in front of him, "Eat up, Sambo." Sam rolled his eyes at the order, taking the offered candies anyway.