1. To Hell and Back

Samuel had never thought Hell would be like this. Never in all of his existence had he thought it possible. He had thought nothing could be worse than that dark spot in Heaven. The place where so many of his brothers and sisters had taken their own lives.

He was so very wrong.

Hell was cold. Angels could not feel things like that, not in the human world, not in Heaven. Even when visiting the heavens of different humans in different climates, there was no change for an angel, they did not feel it.

This was different. He felt the ice on his wings, the biting cold on his Grace, it affected him in ways he never thought possible. For the first thirty years they fought through Hell against demons for the human Soul by the name of Gabriel Novak. They fought and tore, they lost brothers and sisters, but still they fought. Through blood and carnage and Souls of the damned, both angels and human alike. They saw it all. Samuel did not know if he would ever leave again. Thirty years in Hell had broken him apart. Hell was a place no angel belonged.

Then he had felt the shift, they had all felt it, a shake through the deepest darkest parts of Hell. It reverberated through Heaven, through Hell, through Purgatory, through Earth. It all shook and trembled and they knew.

The First Seal had broken.

The Righteous Man had been broken.

Many of his brothers and sisters mourned in that moment. Rather than stay, they fled Hell. Hell allowed them leave. Those that left were not stopped.

Some of the others, they were shocked, the shock was enough to stun them in battle, for them to die at the hands of demons.

Only a few stayed aware of their surroundings, only a few chose to continue forth. It was their task; it was their responsibility. Here, in the dark confines of Hell, they could not communicate to Heaven. They could not ask for guidance. This was what they knew. Save The Righteous Man.

Samuel did not want to stay. His wings were frosty and his Grace was chilled, he felt the rumble of his second eldest brother from the deepest pit, the torn and tattered Grace reaching out through its domain for the first time since he had been locked away.

"My brothers. My sisters. You have failed. Join us and we will stop. Join us and you will be free. No more Souls, no more pain, just freedom. You need not worry, brothers, sisters, I will take your hand. Lay your weapons down, show your loyalty to me. Take the freedom, make the choice. Father was wrong. He should not have done what He did. We are not meant to be Guardians to them. They break us. Ruin us. Follow me. Should you choose to join me, I will allow you to see them again. I will give them to you." Lucifer's voice rang through them all, The Father of Lies. He spoke to the angels, all of them heard his words, a few of Samuel's brothers and sisters did lay down their weapons.

No one stopped them.

They knew the tales of those angels. The ones who stopped, the ones who gave in. They had lost their Souls, just as Lucifer had lost his all those years ago. It was none of their faults. They wanted it to be over. They wanted a chance.

Samuel kept on. Some of his brothers and sisters gave up, they returned to Heaven. They laid their weapons down just to stop the fighting and joined Lucifer.

Only two of his brothers remained by the time they found the Soul they had searched for forty years. Uriel and Balthazar.

The Soul was broken and torn and tattered from thirty years of torture.

Samuel had never seen something so bright.

He knew what it meant.

The way the Soul pulled at him, tugged him towards it, screamed at him to protect it without saying a word. The way it repaired him and reminded him to move on.